Uhm, scrub the above... I had to delete the topmost line of code, and it works flawlessly LoL.

I've been scratching my head on this for a week... and minutes after posting a request for help, an idea occurs to me and BAM it's spot on ... ain't that just typical :p

Make sure you have no line breaks in your htaccess file, with one rule per line.

Thanks for the reply, cscgal...
I got it working, after I removed

Options +FollowSymLinks

from the .htaccess, it works flawlessly...

Anyhow, thanks for a great script - I'll be adding your site to my links as appreciation.

Thank you :)

Just a quick note, post #1 now has

<br />

all over it ...

A couple of queries, if I may, cscgal...

What is the relevence of the code in the .htaccess I removed and why does it seem to work for most, yet not on my setup? I'm assuming my linux server has some kind of different setup to standard setups?

Have you any idea why since implementing this hack, my navbar has doubled up?

I use vbadvanced and it was working perfectly fine on my test site but now it's live, the navbar & forum-description are doubled up.

Cheers in advance.

ETA: I disabled vbadvanced, and all seems well with the navbars... hmmmm

Also, my "who's online" now shows the thread url (unknown location /thread123.html) instead of the title of the thread, as previously.

Assuming a reply to my queries was forthcoming, I'll beat ya'll to the punch.
I edited the adv_portal and removed $navbar in my various styles. That seems to have resolved the issue :)

Thanks for your mod
It worked with me fine except when I try to merge posts or thread

so is this code will solve this problem

Update:
If for whatever reason that above hook doesn't work, the fail-safe way that will 100% work in vB 3.5 is to add the exact code as in the original tutorial below:

function print_output($vartext, $sendheader = true)
{
global $pagestarttime, $querytime, $vbulletin;
global $vbphrase, $stylevar;

and if it yes

where I should add it ?

No, that won't solve the merging problem. What you need to do is explain to your moderators that in the field where it asks what thread to merge with, to enter the old, vB standard format in the form http://www.site.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100

I'm not familiar enough with the .htaccess file to know why the followsymlinks option wouldn't work for you. You're simply stating to follow symbolic links.

Hello Cscgal,
I make it like a Products for whom didn't know how to do it manual :-
all you need now is upload .htaccess to your VB root
then login to Admin panel >> Manage Products
then choose [Add/Import Product]
browse to xml file which attached on this post
finally press import.

Worked fine with
VB3.5.x & VB3.6.8

I'm sorry Cscgal if I bother you Cscgal with this post :$
It's ok if you delete it, just want to help and I wish didn't

This was a great hack, and the hack file made it even easier to use. Works beautifully on 3.6. Thanks to all contributors :)

Hello Cscgal,
finally press import.

Worked fine with
VB3.5.x & VB3.6.8

after this process i have all my page error 404 ..... please hep !!

all ok....my htaccess file was corrupt

Glad to hear. :)

anyone could get this work on vb 3.6.8?

anyone could get this work on vb 3.6.8?

No. Each time i activate the hack (using the .xml file and going into the AdminCP) it then renders all my links from index.php usless to the forums.

Anyone can help?

Good job dude.

Now the question is after I install the product and uploaded .htaccess here is the format I'm getting in URL.

http://www.abc.com/thread65.html

Thread title isnt displaying in the URL. Can someone guide me on this ?

Hello Cscgal,
finally press import.

Worked fine with
VB3.5.x & VB3.6.8

Hi, TS
It's endowed with magical power of hack. I've implemented and get smooth result.
Thank you.

quickly ;) ?

Hi,

Thanks for this great mod. However, I'm having problem in getting the exact path name.
http://www.cozyhome.sg/forum/forum10.html

Not sure why it's getting forum10.html instead of the title instead. Can anyone advise? Thanks

Because that's what this hack does. I, personally, feel that keywords in URLs actually hurt you instead of help you.

Hi,

Just curious why it would hurts that keyworsd in URL? I thought that it's better for a SEO?

If I want it to be keywords instead, how can I do it? Thank you :)

I've given a couple of explanations in the Site Management forum here if you do a search.

I'm not sure how to use keywords instead ... I believe someone wrote a tutorial somewhere around here. I think on page two or three of this thread.

this hack si working for 3.6.x?
thanks a lot

Confirming that it works on 3.7 beta 4, but with the following issue:

When this product is enable, the stats don't calculate on forumdisplay for: last post, threads, posts columns.

Does anyone have a fix?

Confirming that it works on 3.7 beta 4, but with the following issue:

When this product is enable, the stats don't calculate on forumdisplay for: last post, threads, posts columns.

Does anyone have a fix?

Nevermind...it was something else. Sorry.

This hack looks great and I’m really happy to see someone helping out while not trying to squeeze some money out of you.

Couple of questions

Has this made a difference to the amount of hits people get? I’ve read the main reason for rewrite url’s was because search engines like Google didn’t like the ? in a php url and that this is no longer an issue.
Do I need a Redirectpermanent list for search engines so they will replace the old indexed pages with the new ones, if so do you have one?

I’m going to try this on VB3.6.9 using egyptsons Manage Products thingy, I’ll let you know how it goes

Looking good on VB3.6.9, 1 minute install, fantastic

If anyone is using vbexternal you will need to update the links
example:

href='{url}/showthread.php?t={threadid}'

to

href='{url}/thread{threadid}.html'
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.