Hi

I would be really thankful if someone could please help me with this:

I have a file upload script that uploads csv files to the web server. After the file upload another script called extraction.php starts which reads the contents of the file and puts them to the respective tables in the database.

Now my problem is I want it to execute in the background but I cannot use exec as my application may run on windows as well. So I would need an OS independent solution.

Please help me with this.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi

I would be really thankful if someone could please help me with this:

I have a file upload script that uploads csv files to the web server. After the file upload another script called extraction.php starts which reads the contents of the file and puts them to the respective tables in the database.

Now my problem is I want it to execute in the background but I cannot use exec as my application may run on windows as well. So I would need an OS independent solution.

Please help me with this.

i have same Problem

Member Avatar for diafol

Problem - change the page, you halt the execution (I think). CSV should just be raw data - how big are these files that they cause problems?

You could always use an Ajax uploader. I often use this one: http://www.plupload.com/

Well my problem is not just uploading the file to the webserver through a ftp client.
I have written a script that checks the credentials of a file and then uploads it to the server. As soon as the file is uploaded another script(extraction.php) starts reading the file and updates the database as per the user's choice. So as this script would take some time and the user must not be kept waiting for the script to complete i have to execute the extraction script in the background. I cannot use exec funtion of php as my application may be hosted on windows server as well so i needed an OS independent solution.

Anyways I have found the solution. I'm now doing it using curl

Member Avatar for diafol

OK great. Please mark as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.