Hi - I am working on setting up a calendar from Google.
I'm curious. Is it possible to setup the calendar to use the colors I choose with a layout that fits my needs (more of an Agenda than a actual calendar)?

I've spent about all day reading about the Google API but that, to me, seems like it would be to update it from a CMS backend. I've also read some about the Zend framework, and think it might have something to do with that...but I'm not sure. If anyone can help point me in the direction I need to go, I would really appreciate it!

I'm ready to learn something new, but I'm just not finding a solid direction with all the searching I've been doing.
Thanks in advance,
Seth

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@sethm

I've spent about all day reading about the Google API but that, to me, seems like it would be to update it from a CMS backend. I've also read some about the Zend framework, and think it might have something to do with that...but I'm not sure. If anyone can help point me in the direction I need to go, I would really appreciate it!

I think Google API works with CMS. Any API works with any e-commererce sites so I it should work with any CMS. Regarding about how to install it and update I think you need to do more research.

I'm ready to learn something new, but I'm just not finding a solid direction with all the searching I've been doing.

Try this:

http://www.webappers.com/2010/06/08/wdcalendar-jquery-based-google-calendar-clone/

It's in JQuery but it's similiar to Google Calender

It's a simple code and you can design the layout and etc ...

Once you get familiar with this ... then you can understand how to design your own layout in Google Calender.

Member Avatar for diafol

You can set the background colour from the calendar settings link and the post background colour from the post settings. The Agenda view is pretty bland, so unless you have some complex colour scheme, it should be ok?

Thanks for the responses guys. What I am looking to do is a lot of manipulation of the code so it will display the event and the time and possibly a thumbnail that is associated with the event (like a logo for the event, or the city location). It's going to be really simple as far as layout goes, but what is presented for options from Google for embedding isn't going to cut it.

@LastMitch, I'm going to look at the link you posted. Hopefully that will point me in the direction I was looking for. I was so frustrated with this I had to take a couple days to breathe. About to dig back in.

Thanks again, if anyone has more suggestions, please leave them, I'm always open to options!
Seth

Member Avatar for diafol

I had a go at producing some ics data a while back and imported this into GCal - it was a manual thing - not API driven though.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545

I dropped the project due to GCal's restricted data elements. Icons, maps and urls at the time were extremely fiddly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.