Hi, I want to develop a CMS that I can use when I make websites. Want to simultaneously post it online so that people can download it and develop plugins and themes for this. Would like to have it as user friendly as other CMS such as Wordpress, Joomla, Dupal etc. Are there any good tutorials for this?

Waleed Ahmed

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If following an existing tutorial was as easy as setting up an existing CMS system such as WordPress, then WordPress wouldn't be that popular!! Unless you're doing it just as a learning project, don't just reinvent the wheel for the sake of reinventing the wheel.

I'm really not sure what your expertise level is, but the best place to start would be to use something like Wordpress, and get to know its code backwards and forwards. Start doing small plugins for it, and over time, bigger and bigger ones to really customize it for your own needs. Over time, you'll figure out where its inadequacies are and what can't be fixed through plugins and hacks. At that point, you'll have a really good understanding of not only how to create a CMS from scratch, but also what to do to make something better than what's already out there.

If following an existing tutorial was as easy as setting up an existing CMS system such as WordPress, then WordPress wouldn't be that popular!! Unless you're doing it just as a learning project, don't just reinvent the wheel for the sake of reinventing the wheel.

+1

A fully functioning CMS, one which can be taken and installed on other's websites is not an easy undertaking and you won't really find a tutorial for this. It requires a very in depth knowledge of PHP so I'm guessing that if you're asking for a tutorial than you don't quiet have the skill level needed to undertake such a project. Start small and work upwards from there ;)

This is only going to be for learning, i want to learn how to do this type of stuff so i can do huge projects later on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.