My desired effect is for a comment delete button like what Facebook has on mouseover. The parent element is inserting a new div that will be the "delete" button on mouseover, and removing it on mouseout. My problem is, when I try to mouse over the div being inserted, it just flashes and mouseover is not called. Here is my code:

$(".parent").mouseover(function() {

$(this).append("<div class=\"delete\" style=\"display:inline;width:20px;height:20px;background-color:blue;\">X</div>");

});

$(".parent").mouseout(function() {

$(this).children(":last").remove();

});

$(".delete").click(function() {

alert("hello");

});

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Try this:

$(".parent").hover(function() {
    $(this).append("<div class=\"delete\" style=\"display:inline;width:20px;height:20px;background-color:blue;\">X</div>");
}, function() {
});

alert("hello");
});

This works better for inserting and removing from the div, but the click isn't called.

I'm not sure but what you could try is containing the

alert("hello");
});

part inside the first function of your hover() function.

Are you saying I should append that JavaScript to the div?

No What I'm saing is you could try this (no idea if it'll work though, just a thought):

$(".parent").hover(function() 
{

alert("hello");
    });
}, 
function() 
{
});

:)

What I did was just have an x button be hidden for each div when the page loaded and did an onclick for that. Thank you though!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.