I wanted to give my admin the power to search professors by name and provide them with a corresponding checkbox for each search result returned to help them select entries that he wants to delete (like we have in phpmyadmin for example). I'm posting the prof_name from a form that leads to this file. (Know there are sql injection holes, but i'll take care of them soon.) This is the php file where i'm showing my search results:

<?php
include('connectionfile.php');

session_start();
if (!isset($_SESSION["useradmin"])) { 
    header("Location: index.html");
}

else
{
$query = $_POST['prof_name']; 

echo "<br><p>";

$res = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM professor  WHERE (`prof_name` LIKE '%".$query."%') ") OR die(mysql_error()) ;

$number= mysql_num_rows($res);
     echo "<br>No. of results returned: ";
     echo "$number";

if($number > 0)
{

echo ( "<br><br><form id='assign' action= 'delconfirm.php' method='post'> <table border='1' cellpadding='8' cellspacing= '6' bgcolor= '#302c21' bordercolor='#158bee' align='center' >" ) ; 

echo ("<br><tr><td><center><b>Professor ID</b></td><td><center><b>Professor Name</b></td><td><center><b>Professor Designation</b></td><td><center><b>Experience</b></td><td><center><b>Email ID</b></td><td><center><b>College Name</b></td><td><center><b>Subject Name</b></td><td><center><b>Select for Deleting</b></td></tr>");

while($results = mysql_fetch_array($res))
    {           
                echo ("<tr><td><center>".$results['prof_id']."</td><td><center>".$results['prof_name']."</td><td><center>".$results['designation']."</td><td><center>".$results['experience']."</td><td><center>".$results['prof_email_id']."</td><td><center>".$results['college_name']."</td><td><center>".$results['subject_name']."</td> ");

echo(" <td><center><input type= 'checkbox' name='selected[prof_id]' value= 'false' id='checkbox1' /> </td>"); 
    echo("</p></tr>");
                }

echo("</table><br><br><br><center><input type= 'submit' name='delpro' value= 'Delete' /></form>"); 
}

else
        { 
            echo "<br> No matches found.";
        }

mysql_close($id_link);

}    
?>

The page i'm leading to is delconfirm.php. I wanted that the entries selected in previous file be deleted and echo the entries that were deleted. But for that i'll have to make sure the prof_ids of the selected entries be passed in this file so i that can delete query on those ids. Don't know what code to write in this file :( can anyone assist me?

Everytime i have a problem solved, another just pops up :/ please help me. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

echo(" <td><center><input type= 'checkbox' name='selected[prof_id]' value= 'false' id='checkbox1' /> </td>");

this line seems to be sending an empty value
maybe...

echo(" <td><center><input type= 'checkbox' name='".$results['prof_id']."' value= '".$results['prof_id']."' id='checkbox1' /> </td>");

will send the name/value pair that you want to delconfirm.php

@tonyg_cyprus
your revision of the code shall not be that way in name attribute.
it should be...

<input type=text name='selected[]' value ='checkbox1' id='checkbox1'>

and on php do some looping using foreach()

With your code the name will become array, but the value will always be the same, could end up with multi values of 'checkbox1'......

your right as well @TonyG_Cyrpus. but the tricky part here is

while($results = mysql_fetch_array($res)){
echo ("<tr><td><center>".$results['prof_id']."</td><td><center>".$results['prof_name']."</td><td><center>".$results['designation']."</td><td><center>".$results['experience']."</td><td><center>".$results['prof_email_id']."</td><td><center>".$results['college_name']."</td><td><center>".$results['subject_name']."</td> ");
echo(" <td><center><input type= 'checkbox' name='selected[]' value= '".$results['prof_id']."' id='checkbox1' /> </td>"); 
echo("</p></tr>");
}

now value attribute is not set to default as false, then the value which is selected is inserted in array named as selected. and needs isset() function in php level

like this

if(isset($_POST['selected'])){

print_r($_POST['selected']);
// could also use implode(", ",$_POST['selected']);
}

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to put the code and test if it works the way i want it to as soon as my exam gets over... Will get back to you all in a day or two :)

Hi,
It's working for me. But I had one problem like if I'm tryaing to delete multiple ckeckbox values
it will show alert box that number of time . So, please help me to solve this problem..,
Here is my code..,

.....checkbox.php......
<?php
include ("config.php");
//$query="SELECT * FROM documents";
//$result= mysqli_query($con, $query) or die("Invalid query");
//$count = mysqli_affected_rows($con); 
$select_user=mysql_query("select * from user_registration")or die(mysql_error());
?>
<html>
<head>
<body>
<table width="400" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td><form name="form1" method="post" action="delete.php">
<table width="800" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="2" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
<tr>
<td colspan="5" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" align="center"><strong>Delete Multiple Files</strong></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">#</td>
<td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><strong>Id</strong></td>
<td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><strong>User name</strong></td>
<td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><strong>Email Address</strong></td>
<td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><strong>Password</strong></td>
</tr>
<?php
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($select_user)){
?>
<tr>
<td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<input type="checkbox" name="checkbox[]" id="checkbox" value="<?php echo $row['id'];?>"></td>
<td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><?php echo $row['id']; ?></td>
<td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><?php echo $row['user_name']; ?></td>
<td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><?php echo $row['email_address']; ?></td>
<td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><?php echo $row['password']; ?></td>
</tr>
<?php
}
?>
<tr>
<td colspan="5" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<input name="delete" type="submit"   id="delete" value="Delete Files">
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</form>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</head>
</html>

......delete.php......
<?php
include ("config.php");
$delete = $_POST['checkbox'];
echo $delete;
foreach($delete as $id)
   {
  // echo $id;
        $sql = "DELETE FROM user_registration WHERE id='".$id."'";
        $res = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
        if($res)
            {
             echo '<script>alert("Data deleted successfully");</script>';  
            }
        else
         {
             echo '<script>alert("error");</script>'; 
         }
    }
?>

That's because you have enclosed the <script> tags in the loop.So use it after the loop.If you want to show how many items were deleted,just use a variable to achieve it.

Hi Deltafrost,

Thank you , Nice it's woriking fine.

Solved! Thank you masterjiraya and tonyg_cyprus. All i had to do was change one line:

<input type= 'checkbox' name='selected[]' value= ' ".$results['prof_id']." ' id='checkbox1' />

It sends the professor id of the selected entries and i can post them in the delete file :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.