Hi everybody, I am new to this board. I have a new client that has a public access point for his business. He wants to ensure each person that uses this access point registers so he can get everyone's contact information to send them out coupons, etc.

The way I am seeing it is everytime a computer connects to the access point, the mac address is tested against a database. If the mac address does not exist, the user must register the computer. My question is, what type of mechanism should I use to automate this process?

Example scenario:
I connect to this network. I open firefox. My homepage is google.com but since this mac addr is not registered, I am redirected to a registration page.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I assume you're asking this in the ASP.NET forum, because you hope to write an ASP.NET application that will do this for you?

I don't think that's going to work. I mean, you can certainly code the registration page in ASP.NET, but the redirect must be handled at a different stage entirely, at the router. Try asking this question here.

I assume you're asking this in the ASP.NET forum, because you hope to write an ASP.NET application that will do this for you?

I don't think that's going to work. I mean, you can certainly code the registration page in ASP.NET, but the redirect must be handled at a different stage entirely, at the router. Try asking this question here.

Yes you are right, I posted it here on accident. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.