On Page One of my application, I have a dropdown list that populated by a SQL query. The list displays the "Text" of the items on the list, but the values (that will be passed are the indexes from the database table) .

The user can select multiple items from the list which is then passed to Page Two, where I want to display the "Text" of the item(s) selected.

The issue is, that the selected value(s) from the list is/are the index number of the selected item.... (e.g. 1 = Item1, 2=Item2, 3=Item3) so that the results of the selection would most probably be passing (1,2,3).

To display the text, I would think that I would have to create a method that would iterate through an (Array?) and execute a SQL statement or statments that would retrieve the appropriate "Text" for the submitted values, from the database table.

I am certain that I am not the first to do this... is there any code examples that anyone would be willing to share... or are there other questions.... Would appreciate any or all help !

Thanks !!!

I know this is an old question, but I just saw this, an in case anyone else wonders, I did domething like this several years ago, but rather than querying the db from page2, I made my values contain BOTH the index from the DB and the text... I just broke the strings up on page 2 to use the text for display and the index numbers later, or behind the scenes in the code...

This saves the overhead of going back to the DB to find the text yet again...

On Page One of my application, I have a dropdown list that populated by a SQL query. The list displays the "Text" of the items on the list, but the values (that will be passed are the indexes from the database table) .

The user can select multiple items from the list which is then passed to Page Two, where I want to display the "Text" of the item(s) selected.

The issue is, that the selected value(s) from the list is/are the index number of the selected item.... (e.g. 1 = Item1, 2=Item2, 3=Item3) so that the results of the selection would most probably be passing (1,2,3).

To display the text, I would think that I would have to create a method that would iterate through an (Array?) and execute a SQL statement or statments that would retrieve the appropriate "Text" for the submitted values, from the database table.

I am certain that I am not the first to do this... is there any code examples that anyone would be willing to share... or are there other questions.... Would appreciate any or all help !

Thanks !!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.