Hi guys. for several weeks i can t make my mind whether to go and learn php or should i stick with my C# knowledge and learn ASP.net. I ve started to programming in C# 2 years ago, learned sql and databases and learned html css when i was still a kid. I love C# (started with Visual basic but didn t like the syntax so i switched to c#). The thing that s bothering me that i ve always "hated" microsoft and the proffesors and high school encouragde me to move to open source but still microsoft offers everything and it is much more easier to start with their products and the society also usses them on daily bases. I know that if i choose ASP that it will be much easier to grasp it rather then trying to learn PHP but somehow i think that microsoft techologies won t be here anymore within 5 years and that PHP will takve over. I know that this sounds crazy but i just cant make up my mind. Also if i m going to start on either one of them i will commit myself to only one language and master it I don t want to skip sometime in my life to another server side language.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Since you are already familiar with C# I suggest you go for ASP.NET. Language wise PHP is a step back IMO.

My advice is to consider learning a framework like django or rails, if you want to avoid ms stuff. PHP is ubiquitious, but there is more excitement among developers over those newer frameworks, and very supportive communities.

That said, as you might expect ASP is very popular, and you will find lots of support to learn that as well. All of the frameworks share ideas in common, and to a certain extent what you learn in one domain applies to the others.

The thing that s bothering me that i ve always "hated" microsoft and the proffesors and high school encouragde me to move to open source

Are you sure about this..sounds like you actually like C# very much, and you may have simply allowed yourself to be influenced by others...

i think that microsoft techologies won t be here anymore within 5 years and that PHP will takve over

I dont think that's likely within 5 years. In any case, there is no framework out there that is the best choice for every environment. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, but some are more appropriate than others..

Also if i m going to start on either one of them i will commit myself to only one language and master it I don t want to skip sometime in my life to another server side language.

No one has a crystal ball. In my experience, its good and you should have a plan in place, but always be ready for challenges along the way that may alter your path.

I think ultimately you should go with what you enjoy the most. You are more likely to succeed if you master something you really have a passion for and enjoy than if you pick something based on what is popular or perceived as popular by those that are advising you.

commented: man tnx, i didnt except such a great answer. I think i know what i want now. +2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.