I've got an odd question ( I think )

I have to do a header redirect to a remote server

The page on the remote server is just ugly. no background no formatting, etc...

The vendor that hosts it says that I can use CSS to dress it up a bit, and in fact sent a sample css file to use, but I haven't a clue how I implement a css file from my serve so it applies to the page / form served from their server...

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Is it crazy to think that it can be done?

thanks
Douglas

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Do you own the remote site?
Is this 'tricked-up' view just for you?

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I'm thinking iframe but don't quote me on it. Without having access to the source I'm not even sure if it is possible?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6494721/css-override-body-style-for-content-in-iframe

To me, I read that as your vendor expects you to send them a sample css file which they will apply their end to dress it up. I can't see how else it is practically possible.

OK, I was a bit premature in my question... sorry.

I was going off of what I read in their documentation (which sucks IMHO), and when I couldn't find the answer I was looking for, I contacted their tech support... not always the easiest thing to do.

As it turns out, they have an optional argument that you can add to the url in the redirect, that I can specify a URL on my server for them to be able to get the css file, and apply it to their webpage so it sort of coincides with the looks of my website. It is for using our merchant account on their PCI compliant system, and still have it look similar to my website...

After all was said and done, I still haven't been able to get it to change the looks of their page... I'm afraid it is going to take a few more conversations with their support staff.

Thanks anyway, and sorry to waste your time on this.

Member Avatar for diafol

Not at all. It's an intersting topic. I was going to suggest that the only way that I could think of would be for the remote system to dynamically link to an external css file (passed in the url possibly) or if you cURLed / file_get_contents the page. As this is a payment thingy, cURL/fgc is out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.