I try to limit my search result to 5-7 per page, but i got this error:
*Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING *

My Code is:

<?Php
require "config.php";           // All database details will be included here 

$page_name="page1.php"; //  If you use this code with a different page ( or file ) name then change this 
$start=$_GET['start'];
if(strlen($start) > 0 and !is_numeric($start)){
echo "Data Error";
exit;
}

$eu = ($start - 0); 
$limit = 10;                                 // No of records to be shown per page.
$this1 = $eu + $limit; 
$back = $eu - $limit; 
$next = $eu + $limit; 

/////////////// WE have to find out the number of records in our table. We will use this to break the pages///////
$q = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['query']);
$query = mysql_query * FROM company where Name LIKE '%$q%' limit $eu, $limit ";
$count=$dbo->prepare($query2);
$count->execute();
$nume=$count->rowCount();

/////// The variable nume above will store the total number of records in the table////

/////////// Now let us print the table headers ////////////////
$bgcolor="#f1f1f1";
echo "<TABLE width=100% align=center  cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0> <tr>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Name</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Class</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf'>&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Mark</font></td></tr>";

////////////// Now let us start executing the query with variables $eu and $limit  set at the top of the page///////////

$query = mysql_query * FROM company where Name LIKE '%$q%' limit $eu, $limit ";

//////////////// Now we will display the returned records in side the rows of the table/////////
foreach ($dbo->query($query) as $row) {

if($bgcolor=='#f1f1f1'){$bgcolor='#ffffff';}
else{$bgcolor='#f1f1f1';}
{
while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($query))
{
echo "<tr >";
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$row[Name]</font></td>"; 
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$row[Type]</font></td>"; 
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$row[Address]</font></td>"; 

echo "</tr>";
}
echo "</table>";
////////////////////////////// End of displaying the table with records ////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////// 
if($nume > $limit ){ // Let us display bottom links if sufficient records are there for paging

/////////////// Start the bottom links with Prev and next link with page numbers /////////////////
echo "<table align = 'center' width='50%'><tr><td  align='left' width='30%'>";
//// if our variable $back is equal to 0 or more then only we will display the link to move back ////////
if($back >=0) { 
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$back'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>PREV</font></a>"; 
} 
//////////////// Let us display the page links at  center. We will not display the current page as a link ///////////
echo "</td><td align=center width='30%'>";
$i=0;
$l=1;
for($i=0;$i < $nume;$i=$i+$limit){
if($i <> $eu){
echo " <a href='$page_name?start=$i'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>$l</font></a> ";
}
else { echo "<font face='Verdana' size='4' color=red>$l</font>";}        /// Current page is not displayed as link and given font color red
$l=$l+1;
}

echo "</td><td  align='right' width='30%'>";
///////////// If we are not in the last page then Next link will be displayed. Here we check that /////
if($this1 < $nume) { 
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$next'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>NEXT</font></a>";} 
echo "</td></tr></table>";

}// end of if checking sufficient records are there to display bottom navigational link. 
?></div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Look like a copy/passed erros arround line 21.
You mix mysql statments with pdo objects.
how to use pdo corectly see this

something simular at line 38

Correct Line 21,38 and } is missing.

i removed this: limit $eu, $limit

get this:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in on line 21

1. The mysql API to connect to the database is deprecated as of php5.5, try looking into msqli or pdo

2. mysql_real_escape_string deprecated as of php5.5

3. Carefull with sql injection. Try looking at prepared statements

4. If you're concatenating strings to build your query you should change this:

line 21 - $query = mysql_query * FROM company where Name LIKE '%$q%' limit $eu, $limit ";

line 38 - $query = mysql_query * FROM company where Name LIKE '%$q%' limit $eu, $limit ";

You're calling mysql_query which I don't know what that is, but:
- if it's a query string, it should be called something like $mysql_query and get concatenated by the use of . (dots)
- if it's the mysql query object you can't just add a string to it

i change it but i get the same error at table on line 21

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING

Hi,
Make this corrections
line 21:
$query = "SELECT * FROM company where Name LIKE '%$q%' limit $eu, $limit ";
line 22:
$count=$dbo->prepare($query);

line 38:

i make correction as you saidt but now Parse error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in 90

You have an error at line 90 but must put your code again.
What do you want to do with $end variable ?

Nothing, i made some changes but still error at last line 91 new code is this:

<?Php

$page_name="page1.php"; //  If you use this code with a different page ( or file ) name then change this 
$start=$_GET['start'];
echo "Data Error";
exit;
}

$eu = ($start - 0); 
$limit = 10;                                 // No of records to be shown per page.
$this1 = $eu + $limit; 
$back = $eu - $limit; 
$next = $eu + $limit; 

/////////////// WE have to find out the number of records in our table. We will use this to break the pages///////
$q = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['query']);
$count=$dbo->prepare($query);
$count->execute();

/////// The variable nume above will store the total number of records in the table////

$bgcolor="#f1f1f1";
echo "<TABLE width=100% align=center  cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0> <tr>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Name</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Class</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf'>&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Mark</font></td></tr>";

////////////// Now let us start executing the query with variables $eu and $limit  set at the top of the page///////////

//////////////// Now we will display the returned records in side the rows of the table/////////

{
while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($query))
{
echo "<tr >";
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$row[Name]</font></td>"; 
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$row[Type]</font></td>"; 
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$row[Address]</font></td>"; 

echo "</tr>";
}
echo "</table>";
////////////////////////////// End of displaying the table with records ////////////////////////

if($nume > $limit ){ // Let us display bottom links if sufficient records are there for paging

/////////////// Start the bottom links with Prev and next link with page numbers /////////////////
//// if our variable $back is equal to 0 or more then only we will display the link to move back ////////
if($back >=0) { 
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$back'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>PREV</font></a>"; 
} 
//////////////// Let us display the page links at  center. We will not display the current page as a link ///////////
$i=0;
$l=1;
if($i <> $eu){
echo " <a href='$page_name?start=$i'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>$l</font></a> ";
}
else { echo "<font face='Verdana' size='4' color=red>$l</font>";}        /// Current page is not displayed as link and given font color red
$l=$l+1;
}

///////////// If we are not in the last page then Next link will be displayed. Here we check that /////
if($this1 < $nume) { 
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$next'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>NEXT</font></a>";} 
}
}// end of if checking sufficient records are there to display bottom navigational link. 
?>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in 91

I dont found $end in your code.
May be in config.php !?

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in 91

You probably have open brackets
if you Indent you can easly spot where.

This is config. file:

<?Php
$dbhost_name = "localhost";
$database = "";// database name
$username = ""; // user name
$password = ""; // password 

//////// Do not Edit below /////////
try {
$dbo = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost;dbname='.$database, $username, $password);
} catch (PDOException $e) {
print "Error!: " . $e->getMessage() . "<br/>";
die();
}
?> 

I correct the end error, but there is another prob when i search for Indivisual Name it show me all stored data in database.
This is the code:

<?Php

$start=$_GET['start'];
echo "Data Error";
exit;
}

$eu = ($start - 0); 
$limit = 5;                                 // No of records to be shown per page.
$this1 = $eu + $limit; 
$back = $eu - $limit; 
$next = $eu + $limit; 

$query2=" SELECT * FROM company ";
$count=$dbo->prepare($query2);
$count->execute();

$bgcolor="#f1f1f1";
echo "<TABLE width=50% align=center  cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0> <tr>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Type</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf'>&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Address</font></td></tr>";

$query=" SELECT * FROM company where Name LIKE '%$q%' limit $eu, $limit ";

echo "<tr >";                                                                        

echo "</tr>";
}
echo "</table>";

if($back >=0) { 
} 
$i=0;
$l=1;
if($i <> $eu){
}
$l=$l+1;
}

if($this1 < $nume) { 

?>

No error this time but its show all stored records from database.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.