Hello I am trying to learn the differences from Java and JavaScript so I am trying to take a working simple program in Java and make it work in JavaScript. I keep getting undefined. Here is the JavaScript I am trying:

<script type="text/javascript">

function _(x) {
    return document.getElementById(x);
    }

function phraseOmatic () {

//print to div id=phrase
    _("phrase").innerHTML =  phrase;

//make three sets of words to choose from        
    var wordListOne = ["24/7","multi-Tier","30,000 foot","B-to-B","win-win","frontend","web-based","pervasive","smart","sixsigma","critical-path","dynamic"];

var wordListTwo = ["empowered","sticky","value-added","oriented","centic","distibuted","clustered","branded","outside-the-box","positioned","networked","focused","leveraged","aligned","tageted","shared","cooperative","accelerated"];

var wordListThree = ["process","tippingpoint","solution","architecture","core competency","strategy","mindshare","portal","space","vision","paradigm","mission"];

//find out how many words are in each list
    var oneLength = wordListOne.length;
    var twoLength = wordListTwo.length;
    var threeLength = wordListThree.length;

//generate three random numbers
    var rand1 = Math.floor(Math.random() * oneLength);
    var rand2 = Math.floor(Math.random() * twoLength);
    var rand3 =Math.floor(Math.random() * threeLength);

//now build a phrase
    var phrase = wordListOne[rand1] + " " + wordListTwo[rand2] + " " + wordListThree[rand3];

}

window.addEventListener("load", phraseOmatic, false);

</script>

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

At a glance, it looks like line 10 should read:

document.getElementById("phrase").innerHTML = phrase;

I'd need to see the HTML to be sure.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function _(x) {
    return document.getElementById(x);
    }
    function phraseOmatic () {
    //print to div id=phrase
    _("phrase").innerHTML =  phrase + " but Why is it undefined? " + rand1 + " rand1 is undefined as well. I think my problem is in the Math.random being a floating point and I need and integer for the position of the array ";
    //make three sets of words to choose from        
    var wordListOne = ["24/7","multi-Tier","30,000 foot","B-to-B","win-win","frontend","web-based","pervasive","smart","sixsigma","critical-path","dynamic"];
    var wordListTwo = ["empowered","sticky","value-added","oriented","centic","distibuted","clustered","branded","outside-the-box","positioned","networked","focused","leveraged","aligned","tageted","shared","cooperative","accelerated"];
    var wordListThree = ["process","tippingpoint","solution","architecture","core competency","strategy","mindshare","portal","space","vision","paradigm","mission"];
    //find out how many words are in each list
    var oneLength = wordListOne.length;
    var twoLength = wordListTwo.length;
    var threeLength = wordListThree.length;
    //generate three random numbers
    var rand1 = Math.floor(Math.random() * oneLength);
    var rand2 = Math.floor(Math.random() * twoLength);
    var rand3 =Math.floor(Math.random() * threeLength);
    //now build a phrase
    var phrase = wordListOne[rand1] + " " + wordListTwo[rand2] + " " + wordListThree[rand3];
    }
    window.addEventListener("load", phraseOmatic, false);
</script>
<title>phraseOmatic</title>
</head>

<body>
<div id="phrase"></div
The content of the document......
</body>

</html>

I use the function on line 5 through 7 to serve as my documentgetElementById so I don't have to type it in every time. I just put _() and pass it whatever.

Shouldn't line 10 be after line 30? You are assigning the value of the var before you create it.

_("phrase").innerHTML =  phrase;

For that matter, you don't need the go-between var phrase anyway.

Thanks LesF I moved line 10 down to the last item in my script block and it works. And, yeah I guess I could slim it down.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.