Hello..am learning web designing have learnt html and css,please I like to learn step wise,so which other package do I continue with,because now I lime to create a responsive website...

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Responsive design, when done "right," is usually 90-100% HTML and CSS. JavaScript is used for accent work and/or for data manipulation/management.

From there you need to learn server side code - PHP would probably be the easiest to pick up and run with, but Python, ASP, Perl, Ruby... whatever server side language you have access to and are willing to learn... are the next step.

Thank you...very much

What about bootstrap and jquery

That's a different discussion, and also a discussion about integration of libraries based on need.

Personally, I am not a big jQuery fan, nor any library that tries to do all things for you. Granted, some of the cross browser solutions they implement help, and are great solutions, but I have a hard time importing a full library for single use cases - however, that's because where I work, and how I personally develop, I do not have need or preference for them. Every library has their strengths and weaknesses, and if you learn more javascript and what you want to do with it, feel free to use these libraries to manage layout. Just keep in mind, jQuery was born out of a time when browsers were vastly different, and stylistic behaviors often varied from IE to Firefox or whatever else was around. Most of this is no longer a problem as standards are becomming more prevalent and behaviors are predictable.

So.. the tl;dr: personal choice. If you want to use them, use them. But learn the fundamentals of javascript so you understand what it is doing, so you can debug their jarbled mess when stuff doesn't work as you expect.

Member Avatar for diafol

Responsive for the noob - you can use a front-end framework like Bootstrap - but there are others. However, making it look DIY is a lot of work. You can get simple drop-in css snippets that will make your site responsive without the need to crank up the whole shebang of a framework. As mentioned, if you're serious about web dev, you need to learn the nuts and bolts, not just lever a bit of putty to fill a hole.

Dropping in third party scripts is a recipe for disaster unless you can work out what they're doing - I'm thinking security and performance.

Member Avatar for RudyM

As you, OP, pointed out and Mark_47, download Bootstrap.

By downloading and implementing Bootstrap you will not learn how to create responsive websites. It's a shortcut and you can create them, but without knowing the core concept of RWD (media queries, fluid grids and flexible media) you will allways be dependend on a framework like Bootstrap and its features, snippets and templates. If you want to create custom & lightweight responsive websites optimized for whatever screen or device it will be viewed on, you will have to get your hands dirty.

https://responsivedesign.is/

commented: +1 +14
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.