Hi I would like to start a website with a discussion board / forum on it and was wondering for any good recommendations on a good kinda website builder type thing in which I wouldn't have to install phpBB or something similar, (whatever the cool kids are using these days..). I want to pay for it since I don't want any ads on the site, but I am also cheap. Thinking something like wix or squarespace but not sure if they have good forums "apps".

I would appreciate any suggestions, or do you think I should take a girl to dinner and buy flowers before I try and get in her pants? (ie. just get hosting and install phpBB or the like)..

TIA xx

happygeek commented: What an unnecessarily sexist comment... -3

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

or do you think I should take a girl to dinner and buy flowers before I try and get in her pants? (ie. just get hosting and install phpBB or the like)..

I'm usually pretty good at analogies, but I'm having trouble with this one. The girl is the website? Getting in her pants is getting your forum up and running? Dinner and flowers is the hosting company and phpBB? Hiring someone as opposed to doing it yourself? Please explain. Or don't. G-rated site and all that...

Details, details, details. What kind of forum? How many users? What type of users? What's YOUR background and how much time/ability do you have to tweak the code?

I'm of the "Whatever you do, don't use Joomla" mindset. I inherited a Joomla forum. Hated it.

Dani will probably come around and talk up Dazah's selling points. If you want a "Something out of the box that works" solution, I imagine phpBB is about as fast and easy as you can get and EVERYONE has used it, thus the kinks are mostly ironed out and lots of How-To's out there.

Haha, I'm not going to talk up Dazah's selling points unless he says he's looking to create a chat-based social network or seems like he has a need for our user matching algorithm.

For a forum system, I would go with Xenforo or perhaps even Discourse. However, it seems as if you're not very technical. Wix is great if you want point and click simplicity, but you're going to be very locked in. A lot of hosting companies will offer open source solutions (Wordpress, phpBB, etc.) out of the box through their point and click control panel.

Member Avatar for diafol

whatever the cool kids are using these days..

Cool kids ain't using forums.

commented: They might be on Reddit. +12
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.