I took the plunge and decided to learn PHP.
I bought the book 'Beginning PHP 4' by Chris Lea, Wankyu Choi, Allan Kent, Ganesh Prasad, Chris Ullman
So far its pretty good and I've learned a lot. It'd getting tricky now wioth arrays and implodes and explodes but I'm coping fine. I just wish I had more time to do the excercises. it isnt however as difficult as I thought it would be. It is very similar to basic which I learnt well and is quite logical.
What I could do with is a colection of well commented scripts. Is there comethin glike a collectio nof php scripts anywhere that are very well commented? I find analysing code of a working script is as good a learning tools as you can get.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I took the plunge and decided to learn PHP.
I bought the book 'Beginning PHP 4' by Chris Lea, Wankyu Choi, Allan Kent, Ganesh Prasad, Chris Ullman
So far its pretty good and I've learned a lot. It'd getting tricky now wioth arrays and implodes and explodes but I'm coping fine. I just wish I had more time to do the excercises. it isnt however as difficult as I thought it would be. It is very similar to basic which I learnt well and is quite logical.
What I could do with is a colection of well commented scripts. Is there comethin glike a collectio nof php scripts anywhere that are very well commented? I find analysing code of a working script is as good a learning tools as you can get.

koders.com may be a decent place to start if you have the type of snippet you want in mind.

these are some good links with some good content websites

I think the PHP Documentation provides some of the best examples an a per-function basis. Also the user comments are great for seeing different uses for the functions and common problems.

After learning HTML and a little Javascript i started learning PHP using the manual on php.net. It's easy to use, has lots of examples and many problems are discussed. Anyway.. if you have problems google is the best solution. good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.