Howdy,

I have attempted to install PHP 5.1.4 on a Windows NT system with Netscape Enterprise Server (3.6? not my choice). It seems like it is partially installed. I mean, when you run phpinfo you get:

http://128.194.109.84/users/wong/php_info.php

<html>

<head>
<title>PHP info</title>
</head>

<body>

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

</body>

</html>

Something's definately happening, but something's definately not correct. I am trying to diagnose the problem by running other scrpts. A good, short example of what's wrong is shown by this script:

http://128.194.109.84/users/wong/timetest.php

It displays something like this:
09:21:50 am</b> on the computer running PHP.</p>

instead of this:
This page was created at 09:19:14 am on the computer running PHP.

Here's the code:

<p>This page was created at <b>
<?php echo date("h:i:s a", time()); ?>
</b> on the computer running PHP.</p>

I tried looking up troubleshooting problems in php.net and google, but I am having a really hard time because I really don't know how to describe this problem in one or two keywords.

Help is much appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm wondering if the server's not telling the browser the output code is the right type.

Examine the headers (you'll need a program to do that) and see if the type is text/html

Using Microsoft Fiddler (great program for some debugging and such!), I can see that your server is indeed doing what Puckdropper said .. no content type in the header.

Your server's return headers:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP1
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:25:29 GMT
Connection: close

Another (in this case my) server's return headers:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:24:42 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.2
Content-Type: text/html

The key line being the Content-Type: header.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.