Hi all,
I am new member in this community.I am a software developer in java/j2ee platform. Recently i have develop a web site in jsp. I use Tomact 4.1,Mysql data base . Now its working fine inside my LAN .Every one can access with my IP address in my LAN. Now i have a static IP and i want to host it so that everyone can access this portal .So pls tell me the procedure that how can i host it using that static IP. what should i install in that machine and how can i set a virtual name for my portal...

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

you don't need anything you don't have on your LAN connection, but you may need to open some ports on your firewall (especially the port on which Tomcat is serving content over http, usually port 8080 with Tomcat though using port 80 is nicer as it's the standard for http).

Domain names you'll need to buy, there are many companies selling them over the net for not a lot of money per year.
Make sure your ISP allows you to do this though, some (many?) will kick you off the network if you host a server over your home connection.
Others will allow it if you upgrade to a corporate account.
Some also sell (or help you to buy) domain names and hosting services.

Hi all,
I am new member in this community.I am a software developer in java/j2ee platform. Recently i have develop a web site in jsp. I use Tomact 4.1,Mysql data base . Now its working fine inside my LAN .Every one can access with my IP address in my LAN. Now i have a static IP and i want to host it so that everyone can access this portal .So pls tell me the procedure that how can i host it using that static IP. what should i install in that machine and how can i set a virtual name for my portal...

Thanks in advance

from what i learnt of what ypu have posted is that you have hosted your website on the local lan.could you please give me step by step procedure to host a website on a LAN.

don't hijack other peoples' threads, it's extremely rude.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.