I want to create a forum for my website ? can anybody have any idea how to start with or the logic behind this?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

why not use one of the free offerings like the personal version of community server?

http://www.communityserver.org

dont think theres much point in recreating the wheel on this one, unless it's a commercial project and you will be funded to develop a new forum module thers other ones like bbForum however that requires php and mysql whereas community server is asp.net and sql server

why not use one of the free offerings like the personal version of community server?

http://www.communityserver.org

dont think theres much point in recreating the wheel on this one, unless it's a commercial project and you will be funded to develop a new forum module thers other ones like bbForum however that requires php and mysql whereas community server is asp.net and sql server

Can u please explain me this thing in detail? becoz i think u got my point not to recreating the wheel on this one!
I want to develop a forum for my website which provides a meeting place for people interested in our website.They can ask questions and get the answer of their question by one of our technical team members or other technical visitors of our site.
So how can i design and develop this forum? Please explain me in detail how can i take help from Community server?

If your site is commercial then you would need a commercial license for community server. I am not suggesting that you develop something yourselves using community server as a guide, I am suggesting that sometimes the cost of development time will surpass the cost of a license. Or in a scenario where a forum is on your wish list but other projects or tasks are a priority, then with a small installation overhead you can have a fully functional forum for a reasonable price. As in actual fact a Forum mechanism while simple as an idea can be quite a complex task to accomplish. If you want to play with something a little buggy and unsupported, why not look at aspnetforums (if you can still get hold of it) that was what Community Server originally was before it became a commercial project. You will see very quickly from that just how much work would be involved in making one yourself

If your site is commercial then you would need a commercial license for community server. I am not suggesting that you develop something yourselves using community server as a guide, I am suggesting that sometimes the cost of development time will surpass the cost of a license. Or in a scenario where a forum is on your wish list but other projects or tasks are a priority, then with a small installation overhead you can have a fully functional forum for a reasonable price. As in actual fact a Forum mechanism while simple as an idea can be quite a complex task to accomplish. If you want to play with something a little buggy and unsupported, why not look at aspnetforums (if you can still get hold of it) that was what Community Server originally was before it became a commercial project. You will see very quickly from that just how much work would be involved in making one yourself

Do u know any other sites who provides such already made forums which we can use in our website?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.