I am currently responsible for a set of server units. Recently, the group of users working with one of these units informed me that they were having problems with a php-based report generating program. I did not write the program; my predecessor did. I did manage to track down the error, though; the program throws the message

[B]Fatal error[/B]: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in  [B]/srv/www/htdocs/tech_site_lst.php[/B] on line [B]123[/B]

when attempting to access a mysql database.

Another server, running the same code, has no problems, but is running a different version of PHP. (Working program is running 4.3.10, broken version is running 5.2.*, I think the star is a 0 but cannot recall for certain.) Both systems are running on SuSE 9.2 OS's, both systems are running MySQL 4.1.10a.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Or perhaps know of someplace I can go to find out more about the problem in question?

Thank you for your consideration,
EnderX

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You might wanna check the libraries compiled with your PHP. You get that error because the library that's supposed to implement that function is not compiled with your PHP.

Member Avatar for Rhyan

I am currently responsible for a set of server units. Recently, the group of users working with one of these units informed me that they were having problems with a php-based report generating program. I did not write the program; my predecessor did. I did manage to track down the error, though; the program throws the message

[B]Fatal error[/B]: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in  [B]/srv/www/htdocs/tech_site_lst.php[/B] on line [B]123[/B]

when attempting to access a mysql database.

Another server, running the same code, has no problems, but is running a different version of PHP. (Working program is running 4.3.10, broken version is running 5.2.*, I think the star is a 0 but cannot recall for certain.) Both systems are running on SuSE 9.2 OS's, both systems are running MySQL 4.1.10a.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Or perhaps know of someplace I can go to find out more about the problem in question?

Thank you for your consideration,
EnderX

I've had this problem with php 5.2.x on windows machine running apache 2.2.x. For some reason the PHP cannot find the mysql libraries, although they are present in the extension directory.

Running a query on google brought up a solution. I had to put the file libmysql.dll into Apache directory and it worked perfectly.

You can try the same solution, however Suse 9 is a bit messy, so I am not sure it will work for you. Also I do not know exactly what is the libmysql.dll corresponding file for Linux, so you have to figure it out by yourself.

When you get a solution, would you share it with us, as a "know how"?

Cheers

Does anyone know what the names of the library files are likely to be? I'm not sure what to look for, and I'm not sure what path the original PHP4 system was using; it would be nice if I had some way of tracking down the files it wants so I can put their path into the configuration. Any suggestions on some names to look for?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.