How to fix this error?

I'm trying to use forms authentication to allow users to access different parts of a site and I have the following code in the web.config file:

<authentication mode="Forms" />
<forms
name=".MyCookie"
loginUrl="myaccount.aspx"
protection="All"
timeout="15"
path="/"/>

Error:

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'forms'

Source Error:

Line 38: -->
Line 39: <authentication mode="Forms" />
Line 40: <forms
Line 41: name=".MyCookie"
Line 42: loginUrl="myaccount.aspx"

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You're closing the authentication section and then adding another authentication line ;-). Change it to this:

<authentication mode="Forms"> 
	<forms name=".MyCookie" loginUrl="myaccount.aspx" protection="All" timeout="15" path="/"/>
</authentication>

I am having the same issue as the other person in the thread. I am working with a product called IssueManager, I have converted from version 2 (VB) to version 4 which is in C#. I was able to solve many of the problems but i am stuck on the last 6...they all have the same error message:
Unrecognized configuration section authentication. (D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\QA\im4\web.config line 81)
Unrecognized configuration section membership. (D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\QA\im4\web.config line 85)
Unrecognized configuration section roleManager. (D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\QA\im4\web.config line 100)
Unrecognized configuration section compilation. (D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\QA\im4\web.config line 113)
Unrecognized configuration section httpHandlers. (D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\QA\im4\web.config line 130)
Unrecognized configuration section httpModules. (D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\QA\im4\web.config line 136)

sample of the first one:
Line 79: <!--Authentication @0-D74B60F9-->
Line 80:
Line 81: <authentication mode="Forms">
Line 82: <forms loginUrl="Login.aspx"/>
Line 83: </authentication>

I have checked the IIS settings and it is using ASP.NET 2.0. What other suggestion do you have? The code is generated by the conversion process using a product called CodeChargeStudio 4.0.

I need you to post your entire web.config file. The issue goes deeper then what you've posted.

Also, what you've done is considered "thread hijacking". Proper netiquette states that if you have an issue, you should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's thread!

try with this code

<authentication mode="Forms" >

<forms name=".MyCookie" loginUrl="myaccount.aspx"></forms>

</authentication>

Post the whole thing within <system.web> tag. something like this:

<system.web>
<compilation debug="true" />

<authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms loginUrl="~/Account/Login.aspx" timeout="2880" />
  </authentication>
</system.web>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.