Hi All,

If this isn't the right place please direct me to the right place. If however you can assist me with an answer please do.

I'm looking to setting up a website

1. where people can type in various queries on stocks (prices, comparisons, traded volumes, annual reports, market capitalizations, gainers and losers, etc.) and the results in form of charts, graphs, reports will be displayed immediately.

2. that will display various technical indicators like EMA, MACD, MACDh, etc. on past prices and vloumes.

3. etc.

Example queries would be

1. display a graph of security XYZ and volumes traded each day from 01-01-2006 to 07-31-2007.
Expected result: A graph of prices will be on top and that of volumes will below.

2. Display companies with market capitalization more than XXXXX amount.

THE MORE FLEXIBILITY IN CREATING DATA SETS, QUERIES AND THEIR CORRESPONDING RESULTS THE BETTER.

FOR NOW I DO NOT NEED REAL-TIME DATA FEED BUT IT WILL BE BETTER IF THE SOFTWARE HAS THAT CAPABILITY, BUT I ALSO WANT TO BE ABLE TO ENTER IN DATA MANUALLY.

How do I go about this? I'll appreciate any guidance I can get on this, including the tools that I can use to set this up. I already have Dreamweaver though but I'm new to it. I guess I'll need a back-end software where data will be stored and mined from, and then an application that does the mining, and then displays on the web interface.

I want this website to stand out due to VARIED QUERIES (INCLUDING COMPARISONS) that can be submitted and the results generated in form TREND GRAPHS, CHARTS, REPORTS, etc.

I believe this is called data mining.

Thanks.

For creating graphs, you want to use one of image library extensions for PHP.

The most popular being GD2 and Imagemagik.

You have to have either of these installed on your PHP server.

You can simplify creating graphs by using a graph library. (This library will most likely use GD2 or Imagemagik, but abstract the code so making the graphs is easy).

You can search for "php graph library" or something similar on google or sourceforge.net

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.