If I want to create a dynamic page where most of the work is handled by the server, is ASP the way to go? I'm guessing my host will have to support ASP in order to do this...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Yes! ASP is server supported script, request is exected on server and result revert back to cliect.
You are going to right way.

Sounds great! I just requested for my host to upgrade my account to support ASP. I'm very excited to start building my own site!!!

So, to start off...if I'm using Ruby, what will I need to do? Is there a tutorial out there to show how to correctly embed Ruby code into the ASP page?

Maybe...

Are you planning to use a database as part of your application? I currently use ASP with MS Access (on the server side) for several sites - and it works great.

If your wanted to use open source DBs - MySql for instance - I would put the effort into learning PHP.

I'm currently trying to move a site from Access to MySql (and retain the ASP code) - and think I may have been smarter to have done PHP/MySql from the start.

My 2 cents...Warren

I am not sure of that warren, mysql and asp is very easy! It's actually much easier than php with mysql. And you know what is even easier? asp.net and mysql/mssql.

I've used ASP (or what is now called "Classic ASP") for a while. I like it, but I've been reading and experimenting with ASP.Net. It is not only very cool, but has some real advantages over classic ASP.

Firstly, it's part of Microsoft's long term strategy for internet applications. This means that all the new goodies will be focused on ASP.Net, not on Classic ASP.

Secondly, it is more efficient than Classic ASP (particularly with large pages) because you can use it to change the data on your page without reloading the page. This saves server time constructing the page, browser time formatting the page and traffic on the Internet. Essentially the client can take action that just requests new data be displayed in a given part of the page while leaving the rest of the page unchanged.

But, before you do anything, make sure your ISP can support it. That includes not only your choice of language (ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, etc.) but also the database (mysql, MS SQL, etc).

Hoppy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.