Hello everyone,

I am new to assembly, and I am trying to learn it. I was given a book by one of my professor to read over the Holidays unfortunately the book assumes basic knowledge in Assembly (BTW, the book is "See MIPS run linux") I just have some basic questions to clear the picture:

* What is the difference between MIPS assembly and x8600 assembly??
do they use the same debugger ?

* When someone says "MIPS architecture" does this have to do with the processor used??

* what is the best way to start programming in assembly (I usually use emacs or xcode to code in c/c++ would it work with assembly??)

* Finally, is it true that some games are programmed using assembly to make it run faster :D (it is a bit between me and one of my friends LOL)

Thanks
:cool:

Hello everyone,

I am new to assembly, and I am trying to learn it. I was given a book by one of my professor to read over the Holidays unfortunately the book assumes basic knowledge in Assembly (BTW, the book is "See MIPS run linux") I just have some basic questions to clear the picture:

* What is the difference between MIPS assembly and x8600 assembly??

They have absolutely nothing common.

do they use the same debugger ?

Yes and no. Properly configured gdb debugs both, yet it uses different backends.

* When someone says "MIPS architecture" does this have to do with the processor used??

Yes.

* what is the best way to start programming in assembly (I usually use emacs or xcode to code in c/c++ would it work with assembly??)

Let's not start vi-emacs holy war.

* Finally, is it true that some games are programmed using assembly to make it run faster :D (it is a bit between me and one of my friends LOL)

Maybe there are some (I don't know any), and if there are they are definitely not in a mainstream.
These days using assemby doesn't give any performance gain, and badly hurts both portability and time-to-market.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.