I'm a noob when it comes to C programming. I wrote a simple program that runs an infinite for loop. But inside that loop I wanted to create another loop to stop the user three times after entering incorrect passwords.
I tested from different angles it seems like the infinite loop ignore my other loop.

What should I do to stop the user from entering endless bad password?

for(;;)
{
    if(password==USER_ID)
    {
        run program;
        break;
       // if true the program runs and stop loop, no problem
     }

else if(password!=USER_ID)
    {
        for(count=0;count<3;count++)
        {
            display an error message;
            ask user to type password again;

/* I put a break keyword, but it doesn't stop the endless loop if a person type in a bad password.  */

}

}

}

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If you don't want an endless loop why did you write one into your program?

If you don't want an endless loop why did you write one into your program?

Because I know that I can stop an endless loop. The first if function, breaks the loop if it's true. And if I can break the second loop after running three loops it will work. The problem is how?

if I can break the second loop after running three loops it will work.

After the triple for loop put in the line break like

for (i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
{
//do something
}
break;
int cnt = 0;

for infinite loop
{
   //do stuff
   if(//do stuff is what i need) // then break;
  else cnt++;

//if cnt is above the limit then break;
}

Interesting...

break;

always puts the control out of immediate loop in which it is declared. In your case it will come out of the second for loop not the first one.

always puts the control out of immediate loop in which it is declared. In your case it will come out of the second for loop not the first one.

I tried but didn't work as planned, thanks anyway.

Thank you very much firstPerson! I understand what I did to do and it is executing the way I wanted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.