I have to now make a simple single line text editor where the letters i type i can use commands to edit them this is what I started with my knowledge and so far ive got typing happening, if its possible to just input commands that can change the lines I type.

#include <stdio.h>

#define MAX 100
#define LEN 80

char text[MAX][LEN];

int main(void)
{
  register int t, i, j;

printf("Enter an empty line to quit.\n");

for(t = 0; t < MAX; t++) {
    printf("%d: ", t);
    gets(text[t]);
    if(!*text[t]) 
        break; /* quit on blank line */
  }

for(i = 0; i < t; i++) {
    for(j = 0; text[ i ][ j ]; j++) 
        putchar(text[ i ][ j ]);
    putchar('\n');
  }

return 0;
}

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Wow! Edlin takes me back. Used it in my first computer language, BASIC.

Now I find it hiding in WindowsXP, and still working!!

>this is what I started with my knowledge and so far ive got
What you started with your knowledge? Nah, you just copied it from C: The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt.

commented: "Aw Schildt!" +2

Quick question... How are you supposed to edit the test ?

Quick question... How are you supposed to edit the test ?

That was one of the OP's questions in his original post.

If what he wants is a LINE editor, then he should follow the functionality you can see in Edlin. That was a terrific suggestion from Ancient Dragon.

As far as editing, I'd definitely want to use a compiler with conio.h or ncurses, which have that getch() feature. Also, the gotoxy(), is there as well (although Windows gives you SetConsoleCursorPosition(), which does the same, but it's a bit clumsier). Couple that with wherex(), and wherey(), and you're off to a good start, imo.

The multi-line editor is the better editor, no doubt. The Edlin type (one line at a time) editor is the much easier one to program, however.

So he needs to decide what he wants.

edlin was a really nice text editor for its time. I did all my C program using it for MS-DOS.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.