I am preparing for my exams and i just found this question from previous question papers:

Give the C Expression for the following algebric expression :

1. ab^4c^2-d/m-n

2. ab-[{(e+f)^9}/c}]

Please help me as i am preparing for my exams and haven't read this topic yet.

help plz

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Is that ab^(4c^2-d/m-n) or ab^4c^(2-d/m-n) or ab^(4c^2)-d/m-n or ... or .. or ... or ...

There are a billion ways to interpret that.

Decomposed (first example ONLY):

ab := a*b
4c := 4*c

Using precidence:

2-d/m-n := 2 - (d/m) -n

Then key question is do the '^' operators in ab^4c^2-d/m-n mean XOR or power operations? They can be either. The results are radically (sic) different!

In any case, I think this is a really poorly stated expression. The professor should be seriously criticized for it... :-(

I would think ab^4c^2-d/m-n would be interpreted liks this: where ^ is power operation

a*(b^4)*(c^2)-(d/m)-n

In none of the math courses I took (or recall) did ^ represent bit operation. I only learned that when studying computer programming.

Thank You Everyone for your help ..... Thanks a lot ... Al answerd helped me to prepare for that... Thank you @iamthwee @ancientdragon @rubberman @moschops ...... But why you marked it as downpost ?

@Himanshu
Downpost? Probably because you were asking for help with school/homework/testing stuff and hadn't prepared yourself, likely by things like "reading the book" or participating in class assignments.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

One thing I'll add is your second expression is missing a curly bracket. Brackets/parentheses must match -I'm assuming this is a typo.

Simply use the rule of mathematics to figure out what you evaluate first. I doubt the symbol '^' represents the bitwise operator here and is more likely to be the power operator.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.