How to detect the keylogger softwares which are running in the system. Keylogger run in hidden mode,by the processes running in the background are us to detect it.
Is there any process/me3thod to get complete details of process i.e, how muchmemory,cpu,harddisk spae are using and which files in drive are using.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

By encrypting the data which is enter through keyboard ie. at the keyboard first of step of keyboard chain and decrypt at the application level.
By this,we can ensure the security from keyloggers.
what i need to do to crack the data at lower level of keyboard.

To detect a keylogger on PC, open task manager and search for processes other than the programmes you have installed. You can also search on the web for it .This is the most effective way.

The reason why keyloggers are so hard to detect is that they're not illegal. Most people think they are because of the ways hackers use them (which is illegal). However it is not illegal to install keyloggers such as Micro Keylogger on your own computer to monitor your kids, or to monitor your employees for business. Due to those reasons, They are allowed to be sold legally, and are protected from being detected easily. There are some methods of detection, but programmers know them and change them to go undetected from those methods.

<Directed twoard experienced devlopers questions> Perhaps it would be useful to determine which processes actually exist on a windows device by default? Win 7, Win 10, etc? Does anyone know where to find such information? It would be trivial really to examine the processes of a system via C# and query them via LINQ. LINQ in action has some code for this I bellieve. What we need is some way to determine what exactly is not standard. Every time you install a new application you will probably get more processes, but that doesn't concern me overly much. It would also be useful to create a program which can automatically create profiles for existing software as it's installed.

Ananthoju, you said that encrypting and decrypting keyboard input at an application level would be a good idea. I disagree. The reason I disagree is that on a windows system for any 3 step encryption (ex public private keys) there is a keystore on windows where windows stores the keys. If somebody has access to your computer this keystore is available to them, which would make any encryption between the devices moot. Encryption of this nature is designed to protect the communication channel, not the end device. What you are proposing is literally encrypting the keystrokes between the keyboard and the PC, not encrypting them on the PC. If you hack the endpoints, you literally can't trust the device again. Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you think this would accomplish.

I think if you are trying to determine whether your computer is infected with a key logger you should probably fire up wireshark on the device, or even better yet, on a device positioned between your device and your router so that you can determine whether there is a leak between your device and the external internet. You would have to learn a lot of stuff, and it would probably actually be better to plug a linux device between your computer and the router. It could get pretty technical, I still don't understand packets as well as I would like to. I will probably pick up a few wireshark related books eventually so I can grow my skills in that area, you should probably do the same. On linux there is a lot less that can go wrong typically, you see, the more code, servers, sockets, etc you have running on a machine, the more opportunities there are for something to go wrong. Linux is pretty spartain, and not many put forth the effort to hack it because it is such a small percentage of market share as compared to windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.