{
 *b=malloc(sizeof(int));
 **b=10;
 printf("**b=%d\n",**b);
}

main()
{
int *a;
 myalloc(&a);// is this convention is correct?
printf("*a=%d\n",*a);
}

i have not initialised *a. can i pass the &a(address of a pointer) without initialising it. Please look at my small program and help me out. is it a proper way of pass by reference in case of pointers?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

A few things:

main() is an int function (allthough :davis: might disagree right WaltP?) not a void. Please read this . int *a = NULL; would be a way to initialise your pointer. *b=malloc(sizeof(int)); When you've allocated memory, you should free it when your done with it.

A few things:

main() is an int function (allthough :davis: might disagree right WaltP?) not a void. Please read this . int *a = NULL; would be a way to initialise your pointer. *b=malloc(sizeof(int)); When you've allocated memory, you should free it when your done with it.

if i dont initialise to NULL will it work. because i have tried it. i dont know is it working correctly.

if i dont initialise to NULL. will it work? because i have tried it. i dont knw whether it is working correct.

if i dont initialise to NULL. will it work? because i have tried it.

Well yes...But why not just add "= NULL"?

i dont knw whether it is working correct.

What do you expect it to do? If it does that it is working correct.
From the looks of it, I would say your program will output:

**b=10
*a=10

thanx for the reply.. i wil initialise.. just wanted to make sure that it works without initializing. so pointer will always have an address before initialising rite..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.