i am using ubuntu and i have never use "make files" with C

but i want to study an open source video codec called "Theora".
so i guess that first of all i have to understand the dependencies of the project, but i cant understand their make file.

also it is an auto generated one, i think that i can never understand that auto generated makefile.

pls anyone can give me a way to understand that type of makefile..?

thanks
janaka

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You don't have to understand the makefile, to use the video codec. It makes no sense to read the automatically generated makefile, then better learn autotools. It is very simple to use autotools for a simple project, but for bigger projects it's not that simple any more. They use autotools because these supposed to be very powerful tools, indeed they help to configure, but they are not that powerful, like they cannot be used for compiling kernel modules.

You don't have to understand the makefile, to use the video codec. It makes no sense to read the automatically generated makefile, then better learn autotools. It is very simple to use autotools for a simple project, but for bigger projects it's not that simple any more. They use autotools because these supposed to be very powerful tools, indeed they help to configure, but they are not that powerful, like they cannot be used for compiling kernel modules.

i am completely new for this area, i don't know what is autotool
please can you tell me the way should i follow.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.