Ok, I just saw this thread...so I figured I would get some input from you all.

In one year, I am going to begin college, and the college which I plan to attend, has a computer science major option, and since computers are my life, and I've always planned on majoring in some form of computers, I figure science is the way to go. Am I right? I am big into anything that is computer related, and have been working with them since...well since i was about 12yr old. Computers and I, just seem to click. I'm sure some of you are the same way. I'm big into hardware, networking, somewhat graphics, and not as much programming, but then again, that might be because I never gave it a shot lol. Basicly I wanna make the big bucks someday, and believe me I wanna do more than sit in a cubicle all day, typing away at programs, I love all aspects of computers, not just programming. Ok im rambling now...so anyways, is computer science going to give me what I want out of college? Or am I going to waste 4 years learning something thats going to leave me jobless in the next 10 years? Thanks guys...hopefully I can get some insight from people who have been through this situation.

~michael

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Computer Science entails:
lotsa math (calculus, etc.)
lotsa object-oriented programming
digital circuitry and engineering
discrete math and logic
science courses (e.g. chemistry, physics)
low-level implementation of hardware
lotsa computer theory
theory behind programming languages
algorithm design and development

Computer Science DOES NOT include:
working with Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.
learning about/how to use software
hands-on computer networking
assembling computers
learning to program in a wide variety of modern-day languages

As far as whether you'll end up jobless with a Comp. Sci. degree ... doubtful. It took a turn for the worst after 9/11, but career opportunities are beginning to open up again.

What's important to remember is a computer science degree isn't so much about learning about computers as it is a math/science/engineering degree. In fact, it's not about USING computers at all!

A person with a comp sci degree can easily stumble their way into a field such as electrical engineer, mathematician, etc. etc. It's more of a scientific school of thought.

So...I won't be using a computer much in my field of study? Like I said, I'm fasinated with all apsects of computers, and I want to follow them throughout my life. Will this open up a field of study where I will be happy? Or am I just putting myself into tons of math classes, which I'll just be miserable (well, you know what I mean.)

It depends. Do you like math? Are you good at math? Are you one of those people with a mathematical/scientific/logical mind? If so, you might find computer science very fascinating.

Computers will be used to an extent for their compilers in programming courses, but for the most part, most computer science courses don't involve the use of computers - or any hands-on courses. It's mostly theory.

system admin is the way to go if your not wanting to sit at cubicle all day all my system admin buddies go to slashdot.org UBER central
LINK

You would still need to get a degree in something though. If you simply want to be one of those people who does some networking, system admin, etc and nothing more, see if your university offers I.T. along with a bunch of certification courses.

If you want to prove you're dedicated to the math/science end of computers - and, most importantly, are an invisionary - then comp. sci. is for you.

you sell computer science so well dani. just reading your post has made me want to stay in comp. sci. :D

What's important to remember is a computer science degree isn't so much about learning about computers as it is a math/science/engineering degree. In fact, it's not about USING computers at all!

A person with a comp sci degree can easily stumble their way into a field such as electrical engineer, mathematician, etc. etc. It's more of a scientific school of thought

- :cry: discouraging for wannabe programmers like me.I'm thinking of taking some courses only about programming.I know a good programmer needs to be good in math but I'm only interested to learn maths at a minimum.Math theory doesn't interest me either.Where do I go after getting a certificate of programming languages?

Basically, the computer industry is focused at growing and expanding new technology. If everyone just went to school to learn how to program in a bunch of current languages, we'd all still be using the first version of DOS. Programmers would become experts at programming in QBASIC and nothing new would ever happen. New technology, new programming languages, new concepts and ideas - that's what computer science is about. It's about being a scientist and an invisionary - expanding technology and integrating new ideas.

If you just want to be a programmer in today's languages, all you need are certifications to prove you're capable of programming in those languages.

If you want to be able to adapt abstract skills for the future of computing, then you'll need to learn the fundamentals of how computers work - down to digital logic - and learn how those fundamentals can grow and adapt to new languages and new technologies. That's computer science. Remember - the digital logic is the only thing that stays the same in computers. Operating systems, programming languages, software, hardware - those are all current technologies that are always being replaced when computer scientists and computer engineers come up with better designs and algorithms.

Programmers would become experts at programming in QBASIC and nothing new would ever happen.

Do not diss QBASIC.

:P

Hmmmm... :idea:
Nicely written and adeptly explained.
:cool: and you do give lectures to freshmen bsc's as part-time jobs don't ya? :)

So, what sorts of jobs am I looking at out of the comptuer science field? And what should I do in graduate school after I take this in college...?

A computer science degree leaves you open to millions of career options. It's up to you to decide what you're interested in and what you want to pursue.

You can be a programmer for a software company.
You can develop operating systems - Windows, Mac, Linux, etc
You can design hardware, itself, and/or hardware drivers
You can design other electronic devices (e.g. cellphones - remember, they run via software programs too!)

There's a whole hardware aspect and software aspect. You don't even have to do anything with computers. Should you decide to go into A.I. (artificial intelligence) you can work with biologists to develop new neurological implants which emulate parts of the human brain to allow paralyzed/amputated people to move artificial limbs simply by thought. (And YES! Prototypes of this technology already exist!)

The entire world is technology - wherever we are and whatever we do. And the future of computing isn't Pentium 4 boxes sitting on top of someone's desk so they can use Microsoft Word.

Don't think of "using a computer" as we know them today. Be an invisionary - imagine all of the developing that needs to be done in the future to expand on computing, technology, etc.

Graduate school? It depends what your chosen field is. Choose a graduate degree to complement a computer science degree.

An undergrad comp sci and a grad business degree would allow you to work as a head hancho for a corporation such as Intel, Microsoft, etc.

An undergrad comp sci with a biochem grad degree would allow you to work with artificial intelligence, designing medical machinery, etc.

The same goes for any other graduate degree.

system admin is the way to go if your not wanting to sit at cubicle all day all my system admin buddies go to slashdot.org UBER central
LINK

I mean this is the way you want to go if u want to have a life(Strictly hearsay)
They sell it so well here
SLASHDOT.org

" Nine out of every 10 large corporations and government agencies have been attacked
by computer intruders, states Mitnick, basing his ..."

fortune 500 Companies are intrested in quick fixes not scientific jibabjaber(strictly hearsay) no offense I wouldnt waste time while you could be getting all those hot well paying jobs for security Im mean the guys I know dont do shit till there is a compromise in the systems security and they get paid out the ass trust me these guys are party boys some true jackasses they take me out to lunch all the time they are living the high life that I will be living soon. good times are going to roll setting up modems is getting old for me

I disagree Big B. Network sysadmin is a great job for here and now, but it's not what I would want to make a lifelong career out of.

Lets say you are a sysadmin and you know all about linux and windows networking. What happens in ten years when these operating systems are so radically different, networking is all fiberoptic, and the Internet isn't at all what it's like now. (just think back to what the internet was - or wasn't - back in 1990 and you'll realize how fast networking trends change) ??

I would rather be one of those scientist people who DESIGNS the new network infrastructure and ideas for new network protocols - instead of being the networking guy who is constantly just trying to keep up with the latest trends without knowing WHY the things he's taught work.

"I would want to make a lifelong career out of"
system admins come from all computer job fields and are capable of many jobs and as long as there is somthing to steal in the virtual world there will be a job for the system admin.

(just think back to what the internet was - or wasn't - back in 1990 and you'll realize how fast networking trends change) ??

Are you saying all the system admins lost all of their jobs during this trend change

Yes technology doubles itself every 6 months but this isnt the series Babylon 5 were talking about. High expectations run deep in the veins of the computer science community

Lets say you are a sysadmin and you know all about linux and windows networking. What happens in ten years when these operating systems are so radically different

Thats what slashdot.org is for system admins are like a "Band of Brothers they work as a team white hats and(uber) gray hats are on standby 24 hours a day with all the latest news before it hits the streets

Are you implying that system admins arent mentally and physically able to adapt to radically advanced technological changes, than who would be. System admin companies play as the middle man collecting off the backs of the weak(un educated in software) therefore making mass amount$ of quick ca$h. It takes years sometimes serveral(5-10) for new technology to "take off " after being developed. I love technology but I cant sit back and wait for new stuff to come out at the slow rate(slow enough to keep up with) it is while on the other hand there is money to be made good money .

My older brother is a electrical engineer he was going to take the comp science route and some of his friends did and found out it was not what they were looking for he got a job right out of college making mad amounts of ca$h while he is riding around in the Mercedes S Class and living in a phat house in the suburbs of the ATL his friends on the other hand took a slower route after 9/11
The moral of the story is get a job you really enjoy and you will never work a day in your life.
QUOTE: somebody

fortune 500 Companies are intrested in quick fixes not scientific jibabjaber

True.Unfortunately,the type of nation that would want only quick fixers,or network administrating " party boys " would have to be a communist nation - where there is no chance for an entrepreneur and third-grade labourers are valued most.A building construction worker can not work untill his supervisor holding a civili engineering degree comes up and makes him understand the way or working.I mean,things are not going to be the same as it is after 10 years.We need people talking about theories as well as people interested in making easy money,that is,their source of mirth.

Lets say you are a sysadmin and you know all about linux and windows networking. What happens in ten years when these operating systems are so radically different, networking is all fiberoptic, and the Internet isn't at all what it's like now. (just think back to what the internet was - or wasn't - back in 1990 and you'll realize how fast networking trends change) ??

I believe that they could adapt themselves with the trend...

Wow, sounds good. cscgal you are honestly SOOO helpful, just thought I would say thanks before I annoy you with more questions hehe. Same goes to the rest of you, The one on one knowledge is alot better than having to read a page that doesnt answer specific question like I'm getting here. So thanks~!

Btw, that undergrad comp sci with the business graduate degree sounds sooo nice...I'm going to seriously look into that. Up on the ladder at microsoft would be real nice.

Noramlly I would not respond to BS like this but Im from hackers.com (born&bred)where radical shit like this gets addressed swiftly

-I have always believed that Mr.Ben Affleck was the only civilised person in the world.Also,our "hero's" choice of gentle and civilised vocabulary makes me believe that he IS from hackers.com.

America is a anti-communist country you just dont understand how are booming economy works

- I know very well that America is an anti-communist country.Unfortunately , this is a forum where people talk about computers,not nationality or money.If somebody takes a look at our "hero" or Ben Afflecks previous posts in this forum and his profile,they will certainly notice that he likes computers with * excuse my uncivilised swearing* ladies and he has a problem about interpreting statements in a different way ( sometimes intentionally?).When I mentioned about communism,I meant that there were other professions than network adminstrators,it was not like people had
to be something which they wouldn't love.

"Thai Baht Falls; S. Korean Won Pares Gains: Asian Currencies
Oct. 13 (Bloomberg) -- The Thai baht had its biggest decline in a month after the finance minister said the nation will implement measures to curb speculation, sparking speculation among traders that the government wants a weaker currency.

The baht fell 0.4 percent to 39.28 against the dollar at 3:33 p.m. Bangkok time, after strengthening as far as 38.94, the strongest since June 2000. Today's decline was the biggest since Sept. 12. The currency is up 9.8 percent this year, a gain that erodes the profits exporters earn overseas, which may slow economic growth "-Everyone including Roberdin and Feigned knows well about your heroism and civilised behaviour,economic discussion in a computer forum.You do have me believe that it's actually you who is a Leeds university undergraduate of Acca.What Thailan did that could be termed as devaluation-which makes imports expensive and export cheaper.Even your country does that sometimes.

Phew,there ARE some people in this earth who dress and behave like very nice people but do dirty things at night and they find pleasure in differentiating their financial differences everywhere they can-to impress their girlfriends.Pathetic.

" Where does the basis of your argument come from? (your economic books are outdated)"-that was not any argument( though I know that's what you want to start here).That was my opinion misinterpreted by you.My economic books are new as they are needed.They just can't keep up with your abrupt outbursts and old mental problems about blacks.

Interesting people you have here cscgirl,interesting and fascinating.

[rant]ok everyone we are here to help ppl not to fight with each other over every little stupid comment made by someone. i am really getting sick of reading these post when the space could have been used to help point these ppl in the right direction. i mean dont get my wrong i like to get into a debate my self but not in the middle of someones question. ask dani if she could start up a debate section one the forum and do it there the we can keep this debates and stuff out of threads that the debate really has nothing to do with. thanks for listening to my rant[/rant]

anyway back to the subject at hand here.

camelNotation: well if you just want to be a programmer i would recommend you go and see if you can find a school that offers a 2 year degree in computer programming. i currently have an Associate Degree in computer programming. and this will be able to get you a job but it will be tough to find one its gets easier with the higher degree and/or experience. so this would prolly work for you if thats is all you want.

but the if you like math and you want to learn about the theories and stuff behind the computer then the comp sci is for you

well i better get back to work so hope this helps

[Dani's rant]Discussion 'n' debate are more than welcome in the Geek's lounge. However, as I believe I posted in the related words thread ... if you want to have a debate, please do so in a new thread.[/Dani's rant]

mokkema
If you can get accepted to www.rit.edu i believe that you will be more then happy with there IT program.
http://www.rit.edu/%7Egccis/index.php3?dir=academics/&var=it take a look if you wish.
Also, just because you get your CS Degree does not mean that you have to be a programmer. If you choose to get your Masters in business after getting your CS degree more doors will open for you.

I just spent some time browsing RIT's IT homepage. They have some nice documentation about the differences between IT and computer science, which complement this thread.

ah very nice very nice, yes I believe I will be getting a masters in Business...I hope to be as successful as I can, and I have many good business skills which I hope will lead me somewhere In life.

Im about to go to grad school I find the 4 year program to be worthless

So, what kind of job can you get with a degree in Computer Science?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.