Okay, I have to pick a topic and tell why its acceptable. I have to work with an advisor to understand the topic and prepare a written report on the results. I have to prepare a 12 page paper in a publishable format. (10 pages if I have over 500 lines of code as I'm sure I will) It has to be something in depth enough to get a 30 minute presentation over and aimed at upperclassmen undergraduate CS and Math majors.

Projects must either be extensions of concepts I have learned or be on a topic that I have never studied.
I may not take a topic entirely from a previous or current course. Approved projects will involve your solving a previously-unsolved substantial problem in computer science or mathematics.

The courses I have had are: Python, C++ (introductory and advanced), data structures (also advanced), parallel programming, theory of programming languages, VB (introductory only), operating systems, software engineering, game concepts class. Also have taken a bunch of Information system classes and some Math classes.

Im going to be taking Artificial Intelligence, Capstone, and Game Prototypes and Design this semester.

I gather that 'Capstone' means something to you. It does not to me. Daniweb is not a great resource for generating project ideas. The general consensus here is that you need to actually do some work, then if you get stuck, we can be a good resource for helping you get unstuck. The key element, from Daniweb perspective is the You do some work part. What work have you done on this project? Where is your code? You get the point, I'm sure.
I do have some general suggestions:

• Pick something that has been done, but is interesting; and do it a different way.
  • Pick something that is only peripherally "computerish". Anything you like will be easier to deal with because you like it:
    1. Did you raise goats for 4H?
    2. Are you interested in speed skating?
    3. Do you love exploring new desert recipes?
  • Now find a way to wrap a project around your issue:
    1. A computerized system for tracking and triggering goat supplemental feeding
    2. A way to time speed skaters and get their times up on the scoreboard
    3. A desert recipe search that takes a list of ingredients and finds best matched online recipes
  • See if you can work on this project as part of a team, and hope the other team members propose a good project.
  • Do something that you know your prof has as a hobby or interest. (Double edged sword: The prof will understand what you are doing, probably better than you do. It's ok if (s)he is a 'good customer' so you can ask questions and get guidance about what kinds of things a person with this interest will want from your program.)
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.