I've wondered about this for quite a while now and thought I would post a question. How do you Software Engineers/Developers keep track of the knowledge you have gained from working on software projects? I suppose I'm relatively new to development (< 5 years) but have completed a number of projects in the last months I'm finding myself forgetting how I did things in a previous project when I see a similar problem present itself.

I would like to know how some of you more experienced developers keep track of your old solutions. I was thinking about setting up a Wiki, but that would be a lot of manual maintenance. That is of course unless any of you know of a Wiki tool that can self-generate pages from source code?

Hey, there's another project idea...

Thanks for the feedback

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have a battered old notebook with scribbles all over it. :)

I have two three-ring binders with printouts of my code and documentation from the past. The stuff I write for myself doesn't usually get printed, but everything I do for class I put in there.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to flip through a binder rather than cd/type/cd my way through a file system.

I've wondered about this for quite a while now and thought I would post a question. How do you Software Engineers/Developers keep track of the knowledge you have gained from working on software projects? I suppose I'm relatively new to development (< 5 years) but have completed a number of projects in the last months I'm finding myself forgetting how I did things in a previous project when I see a similar problem present itself.

I would like to know how some of you more experienced developers keep track of your old solutions. I was thinking about setting up a Wiki, but that would be a lot of manual maintenance. That is of course unless any of you know of a Wiki tool that can self-generate pages from source code?

Hey, there's another project idea...

Thanks for the feedback

Try this out it work great for keeping track of old code.
www.highdots.com it is called source code library and it runs for around $59.00

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.