Hello forum, Vaironl here.

I have a question, which has been bothering me quite a bit for a while now.
I would like to say, I love programming. Making UI's, making desktop and mobile applications.
I started to program recently about 1 year now.

I'm going to college with a computer science degree in mind, but I ask myself am I ready for the math.
I had a rough time with geometry and had to repeat it though, I'm very proficient with Algebra2 and I even enjoy it at times. But there are though times when it's hard to graps the concepts.

Knowing that computer science requires somewhat a mathematical mind, am I right on track?
I love programming, I like math, but sometimes the math (only) is a though challenge for me.

If possible can anyone tell me what courses I will/might take in college?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Well if you are interested in Web development, mobile application and graphics. You don't need to worry about math. You should have basic knowledge, that's enough. But if you want to go advance like complex mobile application, 3D graphics (e.g. shading, angles, morphing, scripting etc), your math skill should be increased accordingly and hopefully you will learn it gradually, So go ahead and enjoy computer science.

I'd say that to be a successful software engineer, you should at least be comfortable with basic algebra. You've got that covered already, so stopping now shouldn't hold you back.

But.

Any math class you take or technique you learn will prove useful and make you better at software engineering. Some mathematical areas may seem highly specialized, but you might be surprised at how widely some of the concepts from those areas can be applied.

My recommendation, then, is continue to take math classes as long as you find them interesting and rewarding, and stop when they start turning into pain and drudgery.

It almost doesn't matter what the topics are, but there are a few standard classes that you should probably take at some point if you choose to continue with the math: Linear algebra, and symbolic logic. Linear algebra will tone up your matrix and vector muscles, and there are a variety of techniques that come from there that are handy to have in your back pocket. The logic course is likely a philosophy credit, and you'll probably be ahead of the class because of your experience with programming, but it should help formalize your thinking and fill in any gaps you might have.

I'm going to college with a computer science degree in mind, but I ask myself am I ready for the math.

There's also the question of whether you're ready for the programming.

As a Grad Student in Infomation Science, I had to take Algebra, Calculus (helps with cryptography and Telcom) and Discrete Mathmatics. Background in logic is a must imo and as you progress through upper level courses discrete math helps with technical texts.

There's also the question of whether you're ready for the programming.

I personally believe I am. I know this question might not be the best question to ask, but I had a bit of concussion and therefore needed your opinions .

Thanks to everyone

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.