Hi All,

I recently made the move from Windows to Mandriva Linux 2010, in Windows I used an IDE to write my code then build my projects, in Linux I cant find a suitable IDE im really struggling to build my projects.

Now I can write my projects in kwrite that isnt a problem but does anyone know the process of building the project within the unix console?

Thanks very much

John

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This should be a good learning experience. I'd start by manually compiling your projects, then later you can move into make files.

When working in linux the program that I like to use Netbeans to code c++ applications in is netbeans w/ c++ plugin. Takes a little time to set your project up but once its done your set all you have to do is hit build and run.

This should be a good learning experience. I'd start by manually compiling your projects, then later you can move into make files.

Ok so G++ works to compile my program, thanks for that.

So when I use G++ to compile my program it creates an output file or an executable file but the program wont run when I doulble click the output/executable file and I cant seem to make it run in a terminal window (to be honest im not entirely sure how).

So does this mean that there are problems with my code, I dont think there is to be honest, I used Kdevelop 4 to write my code and it didnt pick up any problems.

or is there another process before I can run my program?

whilst im here what is the cammand or how do you run a program from a unix terminal screen.

Thanks in advanced.

John

if you program compiled correctly then there shouldn't really be a problem with the could. In the terminal windows you want to change the directory to the directory where your executable is. The type the follow without the quotes "./ <your file name>" this will execute your program

if you program compiled correctly then there shouldn't really be a problem with the could. In the terminal windows you want to change the directory to the directory where your executable is. The type the follow without the quotes "./ <your file name>" this will execute your program

Thanks for the reply Talguy, this is the reply I get from Terminal

[john-ellis@localhost Documents]$ ./ <vehicle>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

What does this mean?

Cheers

John

your command should be this ./vehicle

sorry forgot to tell you there was no space and carrots when running the command in the terminal

your command should be this ./vehicle

sorry forgot to tell you there was no space and carrots when running the command in the terminal

Lovley job, thanks very much.

Job

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.