Greetings to all. I'm having an error that occurs whenever I try to build a project in Dev C++.

I can compile an individual source file fine. I have tried reinstall. I only have this error on my laptop (Vista). Everything worked fine on my other computer (XP). I have project and source files saved in a folder with no spaces in the path and and which is not the install folder. I've done some searching but did not find discussion of a similar error.

I have some coding experience but have never had to deal with the subtleties involved in compiling projects and code with dependencies... in other words I have no idea what the following compile log is trying to tell me:

Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Makefile.win"
Executing make...
make.exe -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Makefile.win" all
g++.exe -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"

C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include\": -c: line 3: syntax error: unexpected end of file

make.exe: *** [main.o] Error 2

Execution terminated

Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to contributing to the forum!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sounds like a bracket mismatch. Post code.

This happened to me when i used Dev-cpp. Thing is, its quite obsolete now as it hasn't been updated for quite some time. Switch to Code::blocks ;]

I don't think it's the code. This is just the default main.cpp when I create a project of type "Console Application." The same code works fine on my XP machine.

#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    system("PAUSE");
    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

I'll check out Codeblocks.

Codeblocks works! What a relief, thanks so much pspwxp fan!

Would still be neat to understand what's wrong with Dev, but I guess it's not important.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.