Hi,
I am using C/C++ for 4 years now,solving algorithmic problems only.
I see many softwares that do fancy stuffs like windows softwares which automate the installation process , move the mouse automatically and buttons are clicked.
Please can anyone tell me what programming language is used in such cases?
Any info will be helpful.

thanx

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Using only C++ won't do this for you. You will have to use external
libraries and such. For example using win32, you probably can get
control of the mouse, maybe. Using audio libraries, you can play an
manipulate sounds. Using an image library, you can manipulate images.
Using a graphics libraries, you can simulate the earth destruction in
2012. The point is there are different libraries for different stuff.
Google it and see what happens.

o: Hard to believe you have been doing C for 4 years and havent touched the api.

Not really.

I've been doing C for the thick end of 20 years, and I've barely ever wanted to touch the windows API.

Sure I tinker with bits now and again, but I've never written a meaningful GUI program in windows.

>>How to do fancy stuffs using C/C++?

Go to www.codeproject.com and there you will find hundreds of programs/tutorials that do fancy stuff.

Well im making my first somewhat useful GUI program, and Ive only been with win32 for about a month now ( C/C++ for maybe 7+ ish months )

I guess we are in the same shoes too. I just started doing win32 after fondling with console c++ for over 5-6 months now, and I think it's a good idea? As for the guy who wants to do fancy stuff, I think he should try at least to touch win32 first before trying it.

Well im making my first somewhat useful GUI program, and Ive only been with win32 for about a month now ( C/C++ for maybe 7+ ish months )

Congratulations. There's about a year's learning curve before you get really good at it.

People who do systems program have no need for win32. There are a lot of programs that do not require GUI, console, or human interaction.

>There are a lot of programs that do not require GUI, console, or human interaction.
Sadly, there's a misconception (especially among beginners) that GUI programming is the "next step" toward being a real programmer. :icon_rolleyes:

>There are a lot of programs that do not require GUI, console, or human interaction.
Sadly, there's a misconception (especially among beginners) that GUI programming is the "next step" toward being a real programmer. :icon_rolleyes:

I did have an expectation for my win32 book to teach me to make more interesting and complicated programs ( non visual wise ), but I was mistaken....

Congratulations. There's about a year's learning curve before you get really good at it.

People who do systems program have no need for win32. There are a lot of programs that do not require GUI, console, or human interaction.

ty, just been addicted to studying it ^_^

I know GUI programs wont make me a "real" programmer....(That's one thing every real programmer teaches in a very hard way).
I am trying to explore various stuffs that I can do alongwith implementing algos.
I don't think more knowledge is a bad thing.
Anyways guys I discovered this cool app http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml which automates a lot of things ( sadly only for windows).
If you know other softwares that do similar stuffs please tell us...please reply to this thread.

You see, Narue, I happen to be one of them, so can you shed more light on the true 'next step'?

>I happen to be one of them, so can you shed more light on the true 'next step'?
The "next step" is whatever interests you most at the moment.

One possibility is to learn SQL so that you can use SQL databases (such as MS SQL, Oracle, and Sybase) in your C and C++ programs.

Another is to learn how to use sockets (WinSock on MS-Windows) so that your program can communicate with other programs running on either the same computer or another computer across a network.

The possibilities are endless.

You see, Narue, I happen to be among those, cos after learning console c++(i.e finishing about 3 books on console c++), I decided to go on to GUI. So, I'll need you to shed more light on the true "next step" I should have taken. Thanks in advance!!

>I'll need you to shed more light on the true "next step" I should have taken.
You already asked that question, and I already answered it. Though obviously you didn't understand (if you read it at all), because there isn't a "true" next step. Everyone follows a different path. Learning how to write GUIs isn't the wrong decision, so you can relax. :icon_rolleyes:

You see, Narue, I happen to be among those, cos after learning console c++(i.e finishing about 3 books on console c++), I decided to go on to GUI. So, I'll need you to shed more light on the true "next step" I should have taken. Thanks in advance!!

It all depends on what you want to make and what you are intrested in perusing. There is no magical 1 track to programming.

Next step ? Pick one ;

1) Learn more about C++, for there is practically no limit.
2) Learn more about algorithms and data structures
3) Learn about design patterns
4) Pick a similar language, java , C# ?
5) Pick different language like haskel, php?
6) Go buy stocks?
7) Find a hot girl?

Next step ? Pick one ;

1) Learn more about C++, for there is practically no limit.
2) Learn more about algorithms and data structures
3) Learn about design patterns
4) Pick a similar language, java , C# ?
5) Pick different language like haskel, php?
6) Go buy stocks?
7) Find a hot girl?

I would like to go for 7 :) though i think its gonna be harder than learning Java...
Any comments(or help or recommendations will be highly appreciated ;P)?

I would like to go for 7 :) though i think its gonna be harder than learning Java...
Any comments(or help or recommendations will be highly appreciated ;P)?

Seriously, instead of wasting your time asking people for what you
should learn, you could have picked a subject and started learning already.
Just Pick One and go. Run and don't look back, unless you see that hot girl.

With the age of parallel computing dawning and the age of Moore's Law closing, it might behoove you to read up on parallelism. In particular, OpenMP is a nice approach to introducing parallelism into C++ without a lot of overhead ( if you're careful ).

Using constructs like:

#pragma omp parallel for
for( int i=0; i<n; i++ )
    doStuff( arr[i] );

is just awesome. I still get a charge every time I run a parallel process and watch the CPU meters for all of my processors max out.

Please, I need you to explain your point further. This is like the third time I'm asking you to do this; Someone keeps deleting my post and I don'tknow why, or am I disobeying some rule?

>This is like the third time I'm asking you to do this
I know, and I'm starting to get annoyed by your complete failure to read my responses.

>Someone keeps deleting my post
Your posts are still there, as are my responses to each one. This thread has spanned multiple pages, so maybe you're confused about how to read previous pages.

I have started learning wxWidgets... and its kinda fun :)

I'm sorry, Narue, I did not mean to offend you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.