i'm currently taking c++ courses in my college and have been noticing that i'm having trouble grasping the fundamentals of programming or even understanding the concepts that are being taught. the courses are taught with no textbook whatsoever so going back for references leaves me with my lecture notes and the internet which can be confusing. so i just wanted to know what books have been helpful to you in understanding c++.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

i'm currently taking c++ courses in my college and have been noticing that i'm having trouble grasping the fundamentals of programming or even understanding the concepts that are being taught. the courses are taught with no textbook whatsoever so going back for references leaves me with my lecture notes and the internet which can be confusing. so i just wanted to know what books have been helpful to you in understanding c++.

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum which in its initial post lists a number of excellent programming texts on C++. Personally I wouldn't go too far past the initial post though as the quality of the books mentioned starts to degrade.

John Smiley's Learn to Program with C++is a very good book to start with,especially if you are just beginning in programming.

The ACCU has an excellent book review section on it website...

http://accu.org/

Go there and search for good books. Stick to the ones that come highly recommended. If you check you will see that almost all of the books in the initial post of the sticky thread on books in this forum have been reviewed, generally by respected members of the C++ community, and have been marked as highly recommended. You may be surprised by some of the reviews of other books mentioned though. The good thing about this book list is that it does not restrict itself to texts about language syntax but covers books on many aspects of programming.

thanks i appreciate the feedback.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.