To start off, I am absolutely sure this question has been answered before, but I've searched for it all over the internet to no avail, probably because I don't know the term.
I've been working with Eclipse C++ IDE on my Ubuntu machine for awhile, and all of my programs have been in console form. I would like to make a program that uses a regular window, so I can put graphics, buttons etc. on it and make a modern application. The problem is that I have absolutely no clue how to make it do that. Is there a command or a special way to format my code to make it what I want? The idea is to make an application that Visual C++ would call a "forms application".

Also, is there a way to use buttons and other "objects" of that sort, like the ones in Visual C++? I don't expect anyone to list all of the commands for every little thing, but if you could point me to a resource, that would be fantastic.

-Velovix

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

vc++ uses Forms it you create a C++/CLR project, which is Microsoft specific I think.

Here is a tutorial how to create a gui from pure win32 api functions.

Or you might try wxWidgets

vc++ uses Forms it you create a C++/CLR project, which is Microsoft specific I think.

Here is a tutorial how to create a gui from pure win32 api functions.

Or you might try wxWidgets

Thank you for the speedy reply, but I guess I wasn't specific enough.

I am using Eclipse C++ ide and Ubuntu. I would like to make applications that aren't terminal based, a window like Firefox or any other visual program has. There must be a way of doing this without just using a different compiler, and I don't really NEED the buttons etc. Can I do this?

wxWidgets is platform independent. Its available on both *nix and MS-Windows. And it's not a compiler, but a set of libraries that can be use with most any compiler. I suppose you are using g++ for the compiler with Eclipse.

>>and I don't really NEED the buttons etc.
You need to make up your mind about what you want. Do you want GUI or console text??

wxWidgets is platform independent. Its available on both *nix and MS-Windows. And it's not a compiler, but a set of libraries that can be use with most any compiler. I suppose you are using g++ for the compiler with Eclipse.

>>and I don't really NEED the buttons etc.
You need to make up your mind about what you want. Do you want GUI or console text??

Sorry, I thought I'd step back and take things one step at a time.

Well thank you for clearing that up. I'll take a further look into that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.