Hi all. I have recently been learning C++ and have gained a moderate understanding of how things work. Texts files seem to confuse me though so i was wondering if someone could help me out. :)

Basically I have a text file which looks something like:

<Question> What is 4 + 5 
<Option 1> 9
<Option 2> 11
<Answer> 9
<Question> What is 9*9 
<Option 1> 81
<Option 2> 83
<Answer> 81

Bascially I want some code to open this file. Locate the '**' representing the start of a new question, and then output the first 3 lines <question>, <option 1> and <option 2>. The user will then answer the question and it will be compared to <Answer>.

So far my code looks like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main() {

string search = "**";
 string line;

ifstream myfile("example.txt");
 if (myfile.is_open()) 
 {
    while(!myfile.eof())
    {
                        getline(myfile, line);
                        if ((line.find(search, 0)) != string::npos)
                        {
                                               cout << "found " << search<< endl;
                                               // This is where i get stuck. 
                                               //How do I get the next lines of the text file
                                               // I.e. <Question> 
                        }

} 
    myfile.close();                  
 }
 else cout << "Unable to open the file." << endl;

system("PAUSE");
 return 0;
}

Thanks very much for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

you call getline() again to get the next line(s)

Assuming that your code works fine till this line(if not hoping that you will successfully solve the problems :) )you can do this :

if ((line.find(search, 0)) != string::npos)
{
      cout << "found " << search<< endl;                                               
      //Here at this point you know that the next three lines are the question and the options so you can do something as
      getline(myFile,line);
      cout<<line;
      getline(myFile,line);
      cout<<line;
      getline(myFile,line);
      cout<<line;
      //By this time you have shown the user the question and also the options so fetch his input do a getline again and compare users answers with the answer provided in the text file as the next getline returns the fourth line of the question.

}

Thanks a bunch. I think i have it sorted now.

Ok I'm stuck again :(

Basically I want to display the question. Then display choice 1 and choice 2. I then want the program to pause, grab the users input and then compare to the answer. If the answer and the user input are the same then i want the user to gain one point. If not then i want the user's score to remain the same. I've tried this already but when i try and compare i get various errors. :S Please could someone point me in the correct direction. Thanks.

Here's the code:

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

void disp_ques(char* file);

int main () {

char file[100] = "example.txt";

ifstream myfile(file);
 if(myfile.is_open())
 {
                     disp_ques(file); 
                     myfile.close();        
 } else cout << "an error has occured"; 

system("PAUSE");
 return 0;   
}

void disp_ques(char* file)
{
     string line;

ifstream myfile(file);
     getline(myfile, line);
     while(!myfile.eof()){
                         // What do i need to add here to Display the questions 
                         // and stop before the answer is displayed.
                         // Also need to grab users input so it can be compared to answer

}    
}

Ok I'm stuck again :(

Basically I want to display the question. Then display choice 1 and choice 2. I then want the program to pause, grab the users input and then compare to the answer. If the answer and the user input are the same then i want the user to gain one point. If not then i want the user's score to remain the same. I've tried this already but when i try and compare i get various errors. :S Please could someone point me in the correct direction. Thanks.

Here's the code:

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

void disp_ques(char* file);

int main () {

char file[100] = "example.txt";

ifstream myfile(file);
 if(myfile.is_open())
 {
                     disp_ques(file); 
                     myfile.close();        
 } else cout << "an error has occured"; 

system("PAUSE");
 return 0;   
}

void disp_ques(char* file)
{
     string line;

ifstream myfile(file);
     getline(myfile, line);
     while(!myfile.eof()){
                         // What do i need to add here to Display the questions 
                         // and stop before the answer is displayed.
                         // Also need to grab users input so it can be compared to answer

}    
}

Refer to my previous post I have answered this question of yours there itself. Replace the last comment with a cin to pause and get input from the user and once the input is got match it with the answer and then display it to the user. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.