Hi everyone,
I am trying to write a program for a class but I cannot seem to figure out how I can convert a date in the format mm/dd/yyyy to separate int values. I.E. m+m+d+d+y+y+y+y. I've got the rest of the program written, but I cannot seem to figure this little part out. The part I am having trouble with is separating the slashes out of there. Thanks in advance!
Nick

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Is this C or C++? How is the date originally stored? I assume it's a string, but you need to be more specific about what you need or we'll be of no help to you.

Sorry, it is in c++ and the date is originally stored as a string. I think I may be on the right track... I think by using the <cctype> library, i can distinguish the numbers from the slashes, but i need to be able to then convert it into integers E.G. the month to an integer, the day to an integer and the year to an integer. Would this be in the <iomanip> library? Thank you for your help.
Nick

if you know the format, then its pretty easy

string date = "01/02/2005"; // 1 Feb 2005
int month = atoi(date.substr(3,2).c_str());
// do day and year similar to above

Thanks for the help! I finally got it working. I was not aware earlier that you could just do somehting like

cin >> int >> char >> int >> char >> int;

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me
Nick

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.