Hi there,
I am doing an exercise from a c++ book, but I get few errors that I can't seem to be able to fix, and I am not quite sure why.
The exercise goes:" In a right triangle with dimensions side1, side2 and hypotenuse, find all Pythagorean triples for side1, side2 and hypotenuse no larger than 500...".

Now these are the errors I am getting in Visual C++:

Compiling...
triangle.cpp
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\sal.h(226) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'string'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\sal.h(226) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\sal.h(226) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\sal.h(226) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style formal list?)
triangle_main.cpp
z:\in common folder 24_09\programming\exercises deitel and deitel\ex 5.20 p242\triangle_main.cpp(7) : error C2628: 'Triangle' followed by 'int' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
z:\in common folder 24_09\programming\exercises deitel and deitel\ex 5.20 p242\triangle_main.cpp(9) : error C3874: return type of 'main' should be 'int' instead of 'Triangle'
z:\in common folder 24_09\programming\exercises deitel and deitel\ex 5.20 p242\triangle_main.cpp(14) : error C2664: 'Triangle::Triangle(const Triangle &)' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'int' to 'const Triangle &'
Reason: cannot convert from 'int' to 'const Triangle'
No constructor could take the source type, or constructor overload resolution was ambiguous
Generating Code...
Build log was saved at "file://z:\In common folder 24_09\programming\deitel and deitel programs compiled\ex_5_20\ex_5_20\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
ex_5_20 - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

here are the files:
triangle.h

//exercise 5.20 Deitel and deitel pag 242
//file triangle.h
//class definition

class Triangle

{

public:

Triangle( double, double, double ) ; //constructor initializing the 3 triangle dimensions

void calculateDimensions( double, double, double ) ; //assigns dimensions

//int getTriangle( ) ; //get the value of the dimensions

void printDimensions( double, double, double ) ; //print dimensions

private:

double side1 ;

double side2 ;

double hypotenuse ;

}

triangle.cpp:

//file: triangle.cpp
//member function definition

#include "triangle.h"

#include <iostream>

using namespace std ;

#include <cmath> //for the power function

// constants in the program

const int EXPONENT = 2 ;

const char N = '\n' ;

/*the constructors initialize the values of the sides to 1 and pass them to the
calculateDimensions functions */

Triangle::Triangle( double Side1, double Side2, double Hypot )

{

calculateDimensions( Side1, Side2, Hypot ) ;

}

//set the 3 dimensions and calculates the Pythagorean triple

void Triangle::calculateDimensions( double Side1, double Side2, double Hypot )

{

side1 = Side1 ;

side2 = Side2 ;

hypotenuse = Hypot ;

//int i = 0 ; //for the iteration in the for loop

for ( int i = 1 ; i <= 500 ; i++ )

{
			   side1 = i ;

for ( int j = 1 ; j <= 500 ; j++ )

{

side2 = j ;

for ( int k = 1 ; k <= 500 ; k++ )

{

hypotenuse = k ;

if( ( pow( side1 , EXPONENT ) ) + ( pow( side2 , EXPONENT ) ) == ( pow ( hypotenuse , EXPONENT ) ) )

{

printDimensions( side1, side2, hypotenuse ) ;

}

}

}

}

}

void Triangle::printDimensions( double side1, double side2, double hypotenuse )

{

cout << "( " << side1 << " , " << side2 << " , " << hypotenuse << " ) " << endl ;

}

and triangle_main.cpp

//file: triangle_main.cpp
//file containing main function

#include "triangle.h" //include definition of class triangle

int main( )

{

Triangle rightTriangle( 1.0 , 1.0 , 1.0 ) ; //create Triangle object

return 0 ;

}

Any suggestion?
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

z:\in common folder 24_09\programming\exercises deitel and deitel\ex 5.20 p242\triangle_main.cpp(7) : error C2628: 'Triangle' followed by 'int' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)

Your compiler is making an 'educated guess' -- you need to terminate the class Triangle definition with a semicolon.

Oh silly me, sorry that was a really stupid mistake to do...and I read the code many times without spotting it...
Thanks for that. Can I then ask, you said it makes an "educated guess", so what does exactly happen if I leave out the semicolon, I mean what kind of interpretation is the compiler trying to give to the program (if it is not too difficult to understand : - ))?

Basically, the compiler ends up seeing e.g. triangle_main.cpp (roughly) as follows

class Triangle
{
public:
  Triangle( double, double, double ) ; //constructor initializing the 3 triangle dimensions
  void calculateDimensions( double, double, double ) ; //assigns dimensions
  //int getTriangle( ) ; //get the value of the dimensions  
  void printDimensions( double, double, double ) ; //print dimensions
private:
  double side1 ;
  double side2 ;
  double hypotenuse ;

} int main( ) // <--- apparently, this will not work
{
  Triangle rightTriangle( 1.0 , 1.0 , 1.0 ) ; //create Triangle object
  return 0 ;
}

ok great thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.