Hey guys I'm doing a fun little program that will use the character roster from league of legends. Basically I am going to have all the champion data like health, attack power, and type (early, mid or late game) stored and then compare the characters and depending on what the user enters they will get a champion based on their answers. What I need help with is storing the actual champion data, there are about 90+ character in the game at this point and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to store the data for use in the program. I was thinking an excel sheet and then reading the data in but I would really appreciate some more input. Thank you.

Questions the user will be asked:

Whats your favorite type of character? (mage, fighter tank)
What stage of the game do you prefer (early, middle, late)
What is your preferred lane or are you a jungler? (mid, solo top, bot)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It might depend on what language you want to write your program with. excel spreadsheets are very difficult, if not impossible, to work with in most languages (vb.net is one exception). A better and more portable solution is to create a database with either MS-Access (not free) or MySQL (free)

If you insist on using MS Excel spreadsheet, you could try exporting the data to csv and then re-importing it if your program changes that. That is IF Excel supports csv.

If you insist on using MS Excel spreadsheet, you could try exporting the data to csv and then re-importing it if your program changes that. That is IF Excel supports csv.

I can use something else I just want the easiest possible way to store the information.

Go for csv, that's easiest. Unless you don't want other's to be able to alter your stored data, in which case you could protect it with a password, of course. Database as suggested (I'd go for mysql) works, too, of course, but it sounds like you are not yet proficient on database, so I would not trouble myself with that. At least not until the rest of the program is done.

Go for csv, that's easiest. Unless you don't want other's to be able to alter your stored data, in which case you could protect it with a password, of course. Database as suggested (I'd go for mysql) works, too, of course, but it sounds like you are not yet proficient on database, so I would not trouble myself with that. At least not until the rest of the program is done.

Thank you! I will give it a try.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.