Hi gueys,
I have spent weeks in searching to know how to Explore hard disk files using c++ driver developping?.

I'm developing anti-virus program, only I want is: when the user choose custom scan from scan options the program load a driver and send the path to the driver and the driver scan the specific directory and return the file stream to check it if there bad md5 hash or not.

I will explain what is the purpose of my question.
well, if you know there are many viruses who can stealthy invisible and no one can see it at any level ( adminstrator , system ) only in kernel mode, ( for example the virus known as Packet.Win32.Krap.ar this virus fully invisible you cant see it by any program at any level only in kernel mode).

now, do you have answer to my question?

I hope that

thanx

note: if you need any explanation, just tell me.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

What is wrong with using win32 api functions FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() ? Can't DDK programs access win32 api?

Here is a MS whitepaper detailing the requirements for Kernel mode interaction with User Mode. That is, how to call Win32 API (FindFirstFile/FindNextFile) from the kernel.

The kernel mode functions that are required to implement FindFirstFile/FindNextFile equivalent are as follows:

RtlInitUnicodeString
NtCreateFile
NtCreateEvent
NtQueryDirectoryFile
NtWaitForSingleObject
RtlUnicodeStringToAnsiString
NtClose

Also, keep in mind that you'll have to define all the required structs etc. and there are a lot of them.

Body I have tried this but I got error ( "Winternel.h" No such file or directory ) even though I have already WinDDK installed so why I have this message

Body I have tried this but I got error ( "Winternel.h" No such file or directory ) even though I have already WinDDK installed so why I have this message

You are getting this message because you have not downloaded and installed the latest Windows 7 SDK

The Winternl.h header file is included in the SDK.

Dear BobS0327, I have download it and install it but when I am using VS 2008 visual ddk the problem stay same and when I use VS 2010 visual ddk I got alot of error in "winternl.h", what's going on?????
Though, I am using windows xp.

Well, the Windows SDK for Windows 7 has the Winternl.h file in the c:\Programs (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v70a\Include folder.

But I am using windows xp and I know this folder where he is. And I have include it in VS 2008 and VS 2010 but I have same error.

I am assuming that you have determined that the winternl.h header file does reside on your hard drive and that you are using a Visual Studio project to build your application. With that said, you must add the full (complete) path of the folder that contains winternl.h to your project. It is added to the "Include Directories" field which is located within the property page of the project.

I have did that already before you tald me, but the problem stay same.
However, my problem split into 2 : the first in VS 2008 I got message contains "no such file or directory" and the second in VS 2010 I got alot of errors no one of them contains the privous message, I am assuming that the sdk last version did not work with VS 2008, it works with VS 2010 but I got alot alot of errors, here are the errors that I have got:
Error 1 error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'ContextRecord' c:\programfiles\microsoftsdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 6361 1 test

Error 2 error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 6361 1 test
Error 3 error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 6361 1 test

Error 4 error C2065: 'PCONTEXT' : undeclared identifier c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 12983 1 test
Error 5 error C2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'ContextRecord' c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 12984 1 test

Warning 6 warning C4229: anachronism used : modifiers on data are ignored c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 12984 1 test
Error 7 error C2182: 'RtlCaptureContext' : illegal use of type 'void' c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 12984 1 test

Error 8 error C2491: 'RtlCaptureContext' : definition of dllimport data not allowed c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 12984 1 test
Error 9 error C2059: syntax error : ')' c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 12984 1 test

Error 10 error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '__stdcall' c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 13372 1 test
Error 11 error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 13372 1 test

Error 12 error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 13376 1 test
Error 13 error C3861: '__readfsdword': identifier not found c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\winnt.h 14982 1 test

these errors in VS 2010

You really shouldn't be using the winternl.h header file. Here is the warning found in the winternl.h file:

/************************************************************************
* winternl.h -- This module defines the internal NT APIs and data *
* structures that are intended for the use only by internal core *
* Windows components. These APIs and data structures may change *
* at any time. *
* These APIs and data structures are subject to changes from one *
* Windows release to another Windows release. To maintain the *
* compatiblity of your application, avoid using these APIs and *
* data structures. *
* The appropriate mechanism for accessing the functions defined in *
* this header is to use LoadLibrary() for ntdll.dll and *
* GetProcAddress() for the particular function. By using this *
* approach, your application will be more resilient to changes *
* for these functions between Windows releases. If a function *
* prototype does change, then GetProcAddress() for that function *
* might detect the change and fail the function call, which your *
* application will be able to detect. GetProcAddress() may not *
* be able to detect all signature changes, thus avoid using these *
* internal functions. Instead, your application should use the *
* appropriate Win32 function that provides equivalent or similiar *
* functionality. *
* Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. *
************************************************************************/

IMHO, your errors are caused by the inappropriate use of the winternl.h and/or other headers that are related to the undocumented functions.

Please refer to this link for an example of how to create your own header file for the undocumented functions etc. Refer to test.h. Essentially, what you want to do is just create a header file containing only the undocumented declarations that are required for your application.

The InitializeNativeFunctions in that thread gives you an example of how to use LoadLibrary for loading the undocumented funtions. This is the method suggested by MS in the above warning.

Thank you borther, that was very helpful I will tried and I will reply you if any problem occured.
Thanx again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.