Ok im learning how to do exponents in c++ and I get most of this, but I dont get what double means. I do however know what float is. in the deffenition of double from my compiler help it says
"double - a double-precision floating point value." but i dont get what that means. Also could u tell me what double does in this and how it works. Thank You

double x(2.0);
int y(5);
double x_to_the_y( pow( x, y ) );

p.s. also for future post's how do u bold your title

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Ok im learning how to do exponents in c++ and I get most of this, but I dont get what double means. I do however know what float is.

It simply means that the storage space (number of bytes) in a double is twice the storage space of a float. This means you can store larger numbers, like long vs. int.

p.s. also for future post's how do u bold your title

You don't. That would be obnoxious. It's like SHOUTING, claiming "urgent", and using pretty colors to try to make your post stand out. Generally makes people avoid your posts.

Not only can you store larger numbers with doubles, the numbers are stored with more precision.

It simply means that the storage space (number of bytes) in a double is twice the storage space of a float.

Actually, the ANI standard just states that a double must be at least as large as a float (and a long double at least as large as a double). floats and doubles could be the same size, but if one of them is going to be bigger, it will be the double.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.