// writing to access database 

byte[] buff = null;
   FileStream fs = new FileStream(fileName, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read);
            BinaryReader br = new BinaryReader(fs);
             long numBytes = fs.Length;
            buff = br.ReadBytes((int)numBytes);

mycon.Open();

OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO song VALUES('1','" + buff + "')", mycon);
            cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();

// reading from access database

OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand("select file from song", mycon);

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader dr;

dr = cmd.ExecuteReader();
           dr.Read();
           temp = (byte[])dr["file"];

int len = temp.Length;

although while writing the byte array is of size 970 kb while reading it from the access database and when i try to store it into byte array i get only 25 bytes , solution ?

In building your command ( OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO song VALUES('1','" + buff + "')", mycon); ), you are implicitly converting "buff" (a byte array) to a string, which is not how you handle binary data and even if the cast was able to convert your entire byte array to a string, I'm pretty sure you would exceed the limits of building a command string that way.

I would suggest you use parameterized SQL to build your DbCommand object.

For example:

OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO song (ColumnName) VALUES(@ColumnName)", mycon);

int len = ((byte[])buff).Length;
                OleDbParameter p = new OleDbParameter("@ColumnName", OleDbType.LongVarBinary, len);
                p.Value = buff;
                cmd.Parameters.Add(p);

NOTE: I don't recall what the max length of the LongVarBinary type is, so you need to be sure you are using the type that corresponds to the DBTYPE needed...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.