Hi, im new to all this programming stuff and i am a total novice, so please treat me as such.

By this friday (27th), i need to program a user interface for a driving simulator, including a picture box(or similar) with images to show basic direction or something, a gas, brake, left and right steering and gears with a display for speed and possibly revs.
I know this is a lot to ask especially as im a new member but im at the end of my tether with this, and detailed help would greatly be appreciated. I do want to learn, but it seems to me that ive been thrown into the deep end with this one and i just cant get started.

Thanks for any help given,
ocamsrazor

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

How much do you know about C#? It makes more sense to post specific problems than to post the entire scope of a school project. It's pretty unlikely someone is going to want to do your work for you, but it's very likely that people will help you step by step with individual problems you might be facing.

How much do you know about C#? It makes more sense to post specific problems than to post the entire scope of a school project. It's pretty unlikely someone is going to want to do your work for you, but it's very likely that people will help you step by step with individual problems you might be facing.

I realise that, i wasnt expecting the whole thing. Basically i know nothing, every time i try to make something happen, i dont know the correct statements to put in to make it work.
I still haven't got anywhere with it so im desperate for help and id do anything at the moment.
I need someone in the know to help me get started, if ant one can make suggestions on how they would start if they were doing it, it doesnt need to be too complicated, the gears are automatic, so i just need to know how to make the buttons do what they should do.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Seems to me like you are an absolute novice.
Can you do the following:
Start a forms app.
In the designer put a button and a label on the form.
Let the label show "Hello world!" after a click on the button. Success!

Seems to me like you are an absolute novice.
Can you do the following:
Start a forms app.
In the designer put a button and a label on the form.
Let the label show "Hello world!" after a click on the button. Success!

I could just about manage that, and thats probably as far as it will go.

What would be the difference between a Label and a PictureBox?

What would be the difference between a Label and a PictureBox?

how do you mean?

Well, if you say you can place text in a Label, you must be able to place an image or bitmap or jpeg in a PictureBox. Here is an example.

Well, if you say you can place text in a Label, you must be able to place an image or bitmap or jpeg in a PictureBox. Here is an example.

Its more to do with all the rest of it that im stuck with, there doesnt need to be a picturebox specifically, just some way of indicating which way the virtual car is headed.

What about a PictureBox that you feed with pictures of arrows in different directions, depending on the heading of the car?

What about a PictureBox that you feed with pictures of arrows in different directions, depending on the heading of the car?

That sounds good yes, but again, id struggle with that :P

Is this for a class? If it is, why didn't your teacher go through this stuff with you?

Instead of confusing yourself with a picture box, lets just use a label. We can give you a heading by changing the label to N, S, E, and W.

- Add 4 buttons to your form, as well as the heading label.
- Arrange the buttons like a diamond:

....Label1.....

....Button1
Button2 Button3
....Button4

(I had to use periods since leading whitespace gets erased)

-Change the text on the buttons to something meaningful in the property editor. You will find the .Text property in there somewhere. Make the buttons NORTH, EAST, WEST, SOUTH accordingly.
-Double click NORTH to automatically generate the onclick event for it
-In the code for this event, set the .Text property of the label to "N"
-Repeat for the 4 buttons

Once you get the hang of setting properties in the IDE and in code, as well as getting a good handle on automatic events, we can help you some more.

ok thats done, thanks.
The speed stuff seems hard to me, any suggestions on how to do that?

You can calculate speed with ease. Speed in any form is calculated by dividing the distance traveled, by the time it took to travel that distance. However, I do believe this project seems a little difficult for a complete novice? I'd seriously recommend a new teacher. Is this even for a class, or is it just so you can learn? Because if it's so you can learn the C# language then just start out with some simple stuff. Getting text from text boxes, converting input from a textbox into an integer for math calculations, using arrays, vectors, locations, learn about the basics. I don't know what kind of teacher would tell a student to develop a full blown application of this nature with classes just beginning earlier this month all over the states.

public float CalculateSpeed(float Distance, float Time) { return Distance / Time; }

Jamie

Yes the teacher really is that bad, it was for uni and hes a hard nosed soandso who just gives you something impossible and expects you to be able to do it to his unbelievably high standards.

Wow, well in that case I would definitely read up on my basics and quick. I hate teachers like that. Good luck to you, if you need further information then just post back here and we'll try to help you.

Wow, well in that case I would definitely read up on my basics and quick. I hate teachers like that. Good luck to you, if you need further information then just post back here and we'll try to help you.

Unfortunately my deadline has passed, ill have to accept my fail. All i got was some buttons and simple labels and progress bars doing basic things ie not enough. Thanks everyone that helped.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Well let us know if you need help with the next assignment (be sure to create a new thread) and we will help you through it. Be sure to mark this thread as solved since the deadline is passed, unless you wish to continue trying to create this project.

Jamie

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.