Hi,

I am importing data from excel (don't know yet I am going to do that) and export it back into excel. I don't want to have users to import data using excel (due to lack of intelligence) and also it would be faster and more streamline.

I already had a complete app that did it all except I can't get it to run on any other machines. I used office PIA and that is just suck a hassle. I don't want to go down that road again. Now I have been reading posts on how to import data using OLE DB connection and it looks pretty simple.

Now what I am worried about is pushing data back into excel. How does that work? Also I came across a post that said OLD DB isn't for Excel but was originally for Access. Well how ever it falls it anyone could point me in the right directions (Except for Office PIA) I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

FYI: OLEDB is for both Excel and Access. Maybe this article will help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;257819

Basically, once you start using OLEDB, you can treat the whole deal like it's a database. As such, you'd pull the data out using a SQL SELECT command (that fills a dataset), then you'd edit the data in the dataset, and you'd perform some steps that would Update the contents of the "database".

...That's how the data gets placed back in. Once you start using OLEDB, you can insert rows, update them, delete, etc, just like a SQL database.

That's the most that I could tell you-- I've just started fooling around with ADO DataSets using OLEDB provider for Access. It works great, though. There are whole books on ADO that are available through your favorite tech book retailer-- I suggest you check them out. But for starters, that link I provided might help.

Thanks A Bunch Man!!!!

FYI: OLEDB is for both Excel and Access. Maybe this article will help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;257819

Basically, once you start using OLEDB, you can treat the whole deal like it's a database. As such, you'd pull the data out using a SQL SELECT command (that fills a dataset), then you'd edit the data in the dataset, and you'd perform some steps that would Update the contents of the "database".

...That's how the data gets placed back in. Once you start using OLEDB, you can insert rows, update them, delete, etc, just like a SQL database.

That's the most that I could tell you-- I've just started fooling around with ADO DataSets using OLEDB provider for Access. It works great, though. There are whole books on ADO that are available through your favorite tech book retailer-- I suggest you check them out. But for starters, that link I provided might help.

Thanks A Bunch Man!!!!

No problem. By the way, check the other thread you posted. I think this conversation happens to be REALLY relevant to the topic there. :)

Maybe....maybe not
cough*it is relevant*cough

Hello,
You can try to use the professional .net component for ms excel.
It support MS Excel , MS Word, HTML , XML , PDF , MS Access ,DBF, SQL Script, SYLK,DIF,CSV ,MS Clipboard format and more.
link removed by moderator
good luck!

Hello,
You can try to use the professional .net component for ms excel.
It support MS Excel , MS Word, HTML , XML , PDF , MS Access ,DBF, SQL Script, SYLK,DIF,CSV ,MS Clipboard format and more.
link removed by moderator
good luck!

Sure, you could probably do that, but I wouldn't advise following the advice of someone who just bumped a somewhat old thread to push a for-pay feature that is already available in the .NET framework, mostly. Sounds a bit spammy, if you ask me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.