Hi every one

I'm trying to retrieve UserID (which is autonumber in ms access database) using C# and assign it to string u.I'm totally new to C# and trying to get more skills....

here goes..

string connStr, selectCmd;
                connStr = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=..\\library.accdb";
                selectCmd = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE First_Name ='x' AND Last_Name = 'y'";
                OleDbConnection conn;
                OleDbDataAdapter myAdapter;
                DataSet myDataSet = new DataSet();
                conn = new OleDbConnection(connStr);
                conn.Open();
                myAdapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(selectCmd, conn);
                myAdapter.Fill(myDataSet, "users");
                u = myDataSet.Tables["users"].Columns[0].ToString();

All i'm getting at the end is name of the column in that table...but not the actual value
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The column you are retrieving from the "users" table is the entire column of your result (not pertaining to a single row). You'll need to use the DataTable.Rows property instead. Then, use the DataRow.Item property to access the appropriate column. FYI, I would think it's better practice to use the column name instead of the column index.

Thanks ... I've found easier way to get that done, but I thing something is wrong with my query...

"SELECT items.carrier, items.author, items.item_name,  Hires.when_hired FROM (Hires INNER JOIN items ON Cstr(Hires.ItemID) = Cstr(items.ItemID))WHERE Hires.UserID = 'u'"

If any one could tell what have i done wrong that would be great..
Thanks in advanced

Never mind... got that working as well...:-) (It was type mismatch in Heres.userid and u..If anyone interested - fixed by adding Cstr(Hires.UserID) and that's it) Thanks !!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.