C# Interview tomorrow

Hello fellow programmers.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with code but I really need some advice. I have a .NET(C#) interview tomorrow for a junior vacancy. The problem I have is that all my experience is based on PHP. I have a good understanding of the fundamentals of OOP which is why I am looking to make the switch to C#. I have worked on my own at home, gone through a few books but I have nothing to show in terms of .NET projects. All my experience is in PHP. I have been working with PHP for 6 months but I have decided to make the switch now rather than later because I enjoy working with C# although I still have a lot to learn. I also feel like it offers better career prospects. How would you approach the interview if you were in my position?

Please help me.

Regards

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I would foucs on two skills on your interview: quick learning and passion. You need to show and proove how good quick learner you are. Prepare 2-3 proven situation from the past how you adopted to the new changes. I would also focus on passion to programming in c#. Sell your passion and energy !!!

Well, I know this is a little late, just like your request for help ;) but here's a couple of things you can do in future (if you don't get the position)

1. Prepare a portfolio of applications. Not only does this show you know the language, but you also have demonstrable evidence of it and shows that you program outside of the office and shows your dedication to programming.

2. Make sure you know a lot about what the company does and their history. Research their flagship product or service and prepare a couple of programs that operate in the same vain. i.e. If you are going for an accounting software position, demostrate a program or website that handles a little bit of accounting (like a budget tracker)

3. Have some basic and some advanced programming knowledge, but don't expect to learn everything. You know PHP which gives you a good base level so you're not going in blind, make sure you know the following concepts inside and out:
    A) Object-Oriented Programming
    B) Arrays/Collections
    C) Generics
    D) The difference between public, private, internal and static classes. (Should be part of OOP, but I wanted to make it a separate heading)

This will give you a good headstart. Everything else is down to any experience you can gather. Do hobby programming in the language and before you know it, you'll know more than you thought you would and definitely more than just reading about it :)

Finally, I don't understand who -1'd you or why; everyone has to start somewhere and you had a valid question...

I'd say just be yourself and show them what you know already because if you're affraid of the interview and you think you aren't prepared or haven't learnt the things you wanted to learn. there is a possiblity that you may fail it. Take it easy and treat it as a date (if you've been on one)or going to the movies for fun.

When I interviewed for my job I went into the interviews I convinced myself I didn't want the job so that I wouldn't feel as nervures but still give the best possible interview I could. Don't be over confident but make sure you self yourself as a confident programmer and peerson in general.

I interviewd for a position about 6 months ago and they said they love me as a person and what i could do but I didn't praise the company enough, so make sure you do your research on the company and ask questions about things like staff turn-around, staff development schemes, technologies you'll be using (other then C# .NET) and are there any plans to move into different technologies in the future.

Luckily enough for me, not getting the job mentioned above meant I was able to interview for my current position which is exactly what I was looking for and I'm lucky enough to be working with a really good development team.

I interviewd for a position about 6 months ago and they said they love me as a person and what i could do but I didn't praise the company enough

Wow. Sure, you should be interested in aspects of the company that pertain to you determining if it's a job you want, but if you're expected to praise the company, that's a red flag in my opinion.

I think it was just that company had a big ego, the words the recruiting agent said was "they said you didn't say how good you thought the company was enough and how much you would love to work for them", I had done research on the company and said it would be a great company to work for because of they producing and that I'd love to grow with the company and was willing to use new technologies etc... I think I did everything that was needed other than kissing their proverbial boot so I'm glad I didn't get the job in all honisty.

Rather than looking for a a kiss arse my current position took me on for me potential, enthusiasm and ambition to learn new technologies which is why I would have still chosen my current job over the other regardless

Not if they want a job, a lot of the answers on skillgun are wrong, and the questions are barely in english.

And other than the interview being a year ago ...

Not if they want a job, a lot of the answers on skillgun are wrong, and the questions are barely in english.

Actually, that's perfect for the majority of interviews. ;) Typically even the "advanced" questions I get are stuff like this:

Them: What does the internal keyword do?
Me: <perfect answer>
Them: Wow, I just learned about that the other day and I've been coding for years.
Me: Seriously?

If you're even remotely proficient with C#, you'll seem like a god.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.