Hi ,

I wanted to know how to write a c# code that reads from a file and counts the number of lines . This count should exclude the comments present

eg :

//this is test
using System;

should not count "//this is test" at all .

Please can someone help me on this one

Thanks
shuchi

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

you could use the line.BeginsWith or line.StartsWith (forgot which one it is), and pass in "//". If it returns true, then don't count the line and go to the next line.

i gotta use regex.match(regularexpression) . I am using a streamreader to read the whole file and then the contents of the file are match with the pattern of the regular expression . and this regular expression needs to count all the lines of code excluding watever is written in comments .

eg

//test1
//test2
/* test3 */
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic; /* test4 */
using System.Text;
using System.Collections;
using System.IO;
using System.Text.RegularExpressions;
namespace Regular_Test
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
Console.WriteLine("Good");
}
}
}

this shud remove all the comments .. ie shud count all the line of code except comments (/*..*/) , (//) wherever they appear .

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Well the idea would be to write a very trivial regex expression and then apply it on a code snippet. Then you would add to that regex expression gradually getting more complex.

sounds like homework. Show us what you have tried and then we can help

Member Avatar for iamthwee
(//.*\n|/\*(.|\n)*?\*/)

untested...

well well well ,
i made a C# program that now reads a file and excluding the comments out.. that worked .. thanks to all . :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.